Unfortunately

It was a few days into my first week and I had successfully avoided any unwanted attention. I had been avoiding Jordan and Sandra's clan.The last few days consisted of me doing extra research after my first lecture on Monday and moving into my accommodation. Since I had arrived late, I had my own apartment in campus which was nice as I didn't like the idea of living with a stranger but I was also informed that if there were any other latecomers, they'd probably be moving into my apartment. I guess that means, for now, I better enjoy this newfound freedom.

The place was sleek and modern but it definitely lacked the welcoming feel of home, I'd tried to vamp it up a bit by sticking hip hop and Malcolm X posters up and hanging some traditional African art. Mums gonna love this I thought as I stood back observing my handiwork proudly.

Today was Wednesday which meant I was free, I was spending so much time avoiding people and staying a recluse that I hadn't actually gotten to know anyone on my floor. I wanted to stay in bed, watch Boondocks, FaceTime Ayesha and just eat shit but my subconscious was not allowing it; you said you'd make an effort this year, Kleo, besides you're gonna be neighbours with these people, might as well.

And of course, my subconscious was right.

With feet like lead dragging along the floor, I forced myself to the light blue door opposite my residence. Butterflies were circling in my stomach, what if the person on the other side just didn't wanna know? I bet I'm gonna sound like a right beg I sulked.

Knock knock .... Knock

I could hear the stomping of shoes get louder as they got closer and then a few clicks before the door swung open. A small dainty East Asian girl leaned on the door with her large Bambi eyes falling on me expectantly. She was cute, in a Disney princess cartoon kind of way I thought.

"Hello, I'm Kleo," I mustered up some courage and smiled warmly before jutting my hand out.

"I'm your new neighbour from 37B,"

"Ohhhh," she took my hand with her delicate fingers and shook it.

"You're the new girl," she finished. She had a slight accent but I couldn't identify it.

"Yeah, thought I might as well introduce myself since ... You know ... We're gonna be neighbours."

This was a breeze, what was I nervous about? Maybe it's because there was something very inviting about this Disney figurine. Her long hair black hair sat pertly on top of her head contained by a pink scrunchie, this added greatly to the cute effect. I peeked her interesting style; She was wearing a lilac skater skirt, white doc martens and light blue bralet, she looked like something that Tumblr vomited all over but it worked.

"Oh, yeah good idea. Come," she slipped her heavily braceleted arm into my mine and pulled me down the corridor.

"Let's introduce you to the others," she piped up. I was surprised by her forwardness but I sure as hell wasn't complaining, she was making this a whole lot easier for me.

"What's your name?" I suddenly remembered the whole point of 'introductions'.

"Oh," she giggled, aw, she sounded so childlike and her eyes disappeared into two perfectly winged slits when she laughed.

"How can I forget? My name is Kim-Ly but call me Kim, like you know, the Kardashian," she added not before flicking her silky hair fabulously and chuckling. This girl was silly, I liked that.

"My names Kleopatra, like, you know, the great Egyptian queen," I said pulling out my hand, staring at my nails and blowing on them acting prestige, mirroring her joke. She nudged me in the shoulder as she started laughing again, she really did look stunning when she smiled, it was infectious too.