Chapter 11- Siren

“For the last time, I’m fine!”

I sigh and sit back in my seat. Ever since that thing at the amusement park Jesse has not left me alone. I was the only one who had made it out with an injury. I am tired, my head hurts like a bitch, and I just survived a near death experience. Of course I am not okay.

Jesse sighs back at me and grips the wheel tightly in one hand, casted one by my arm. He has been so protective lately. Why? I don’t know.

“I’m sorry,” he says, after what feels like hours. He then tries to hold my hand, but his cast prevents him from doing so. He begins treating the cast like a broken toy, banging it everywhere. The first thing it hits (and keeps doing so to) is my hand.

“Ow!”

“Oh sorry!”

As he manages to curl his fingers around my hand, I stare out the window, thinking. We hold hands in friendly manner all the time, why is he making such a struggle? I don’t like him. He doesn’t like me. We’re just friends. Best friends. Yet with that thing last night…

No, someone had spiked his drink. That wasn’t his fault, being drunk was.

But that is beside the point. I do not like him. I can’t. He’s Jesse. show choir king, voted biggest flirt in the Drama Club Awards. My best friend. The guy who is being watched by Juilliard and Carnegie Mellon, not a sleazebag who wants to be in my pants.

He makes a turn so fast that my head goes in his direction. He moves my fingers so they don’t have to touch the roughness of his black cast. He grazes his thumb over the back of my hand in a way to tell me to calm down. After I have relaxed, he dives at my side and tickles me. I start laughing. “Jesse stop!”

He smiles as he listens, focusing back on the road.

“When does the cast come off?’ I ask as I play with his fingers very absentmindedly.

“A few weeks.” He grins and takes another turn, into McDonald’s. “After all of that chaos at the amusement park I nearly forgot to feed you.”

“I do like being fed.”

He orders some fatty food with a coke for himself and looks at me.

“Premium Southwest Salad and a sweet tea please. Can I also give some apple dippers?”

Jesse raises an eyebrow. “Salad? Apples?”

“Not everybody can eat like a sumo wrestler and still maintain the right bodyweight.” I say oh so matter-of-factly.

“Are you kidding me?” He asks as he heads to the first window and pays. “You used to love McDonald’s cheeseburgers.”

“And then I got fat,” I say, reminiscing fifth grade. Hitting puberty was maybe the best thing that ever happened to me. Growing up I was always that chubby kid who got picked last for P.E. every single time. My only friends until sixth grade were the little Sour Patch Kids I’d bring in for snack time. Teachers even commented on my weight. I wasn’t ridiculously obese, but I was no stick figure either. When I found out my mom was switching me to another side of town with a new school, I decided to use that summer to reinvent myself. I went on a crazy diet, lost forty pounds, and bought an entire new wardrobe. It made me see that image may not be everything,  but it can sure as hell go a long way. I made so many friends, joined cheerleading and chorus, and started wearing makeup.