Chapter 2- Adriana

The watch won't stop buzzing, not for a second. I told them I wasn't working today, but that doesn't seem to matter. I am walking in circles outside of the cafe, my arm vibrating with the watch when I get tired and answer it only to see my over the top stereotypical nerdy college Samuel Sylvester.

"Sam I told you a million times already, I'm taking the day off!"

His thick glasses catch the light as he scrunches his pimple covered face. "This isn't school. You can't play hooky and expect to get away with it. Besides, I'm not the one calling you in."

I roll my eyes. It is always someone, sending me somewhere, to do something. "Just tell them that I'm sick with a ... with a fever! Yeah!"

His hands fly up into his greasy, ginger colored hair. "You want me to lie for you?!"

"Yes, that is exactly what I want you to do."

"You're asking me? To lie to the boss?" The glasses start to fog up on his face. "Just so you won't get in trouble?"

"Yep, and you better do it good or you'll be coming down with me." A sly smile crept upon my face. Sam would do anything to stay out of trouble and I knew it.

He pulls off his glasses, wiping the fog off with his bright red and yellow plaid shirt. "You know I'm not good at lying!"

I catch a glimpse of my best fiend, Siren, heading my way. "Well, then you had better start practicing," I say pressing the "End" button on the side of my watch.

"Adriana!" He squeaks as the screen blanks back to a normal watch's face.

"Hey, you didn't go in yet," Siren's long golden hair is wavy on her shoulders. She is wearing the baby blue cameo shirt that I love so much.

"Nope, I was waiting on you, besides you know how I am when I am alone with strangers," she laughs at my joke.

Yeah, last time I was alone around people, well, let's just say all I remember is the fist flying, the ambulance and police showing up, and the hell I got over it at work the following day.

I follow Siren into the coffee shop. Ignoring all of the people already in the line, we walk straight up to the counter.

"You can't cut!"

I set my jaw as I turn around to glare at the woman with my sharp green eyes. Nobody dares to complain after that.

"Hello ladies."

Siren's face lights up. "Hey Eric, can we have our usual?"

"Of course, one white chocolate mocha and one caramel latte coming up," he sends Siren a flirty smile but she isn't looking.

I walk her to our normal table in the corner of the shop. "I don't get you, Siren. Everyone can tell that you two like each other, so why do you shut him down like that? Ask him out, not throw him out!"

Her eyes move to look out of the shop window. "I don't know about him."

"What's not to know?"

"If he's right for me," she whispers.

"It's not like you're getting married to the guy." I pause playfully. "Yet....."

"Here you go," Eric says as he set our cups down.

Siren makes a face at me. "Thank you, Eric," she says flashing a quick smile.

He starts to walk away, but after a couple of strides turns around and walks back to our table.

"Siren, I was wondering if maybe you would want to get lunch with me sometime?" He rakes his brown bangs across his forehead, a nervous habit.

Siren looks down at the Steam Bean logo on her cup. "Can I get back to you on that?"