Chapter ten - a surprise

Chapter ten:

Emma gasped, and sat straight up in her wet bed. Her body was trembling, and her breath came out in small raged gasps. Alfred sat beside her, with a worried look on his face.

“How-how long was I out?” She said, and lifted up her t-shirt to find a white bandage.

“Three days.” Alfred said.

“Joker, clown, panthers.” She mumbled, and slid her feet out of the covers.

“You should lie down, it was quite some injuries you-“

“I am fine.” Emma said, and stood straight up. Feeling rather well balanced.

“Master Wayne wanted to inform you-“ Alfred’s voice disappeared as she stopped to listen to her surroundings. She could hear the grass moving outside, and noise from the city. Emma walked over to the window, and looked out. It was like she had been blind, and finally could see; everything were brighter than usual, and she could count the leaves of a big oak three a few miles away.

“Emma?” Alfred said.

“Sorry, what did you say?” She twirled around to face him.

“I said you have an appointment with the doctor at five.”

“Do you know what? I think I’ll be just fine, and besides,” She sank down on the bed again, and closed her eyes. “How are you supposed to explain how I got bit by a panther?”

Alfred studied her suspiciously, and Emma pretended to be asleep. Keeping her breath steady and slow. “Very well.” Alfred said, and she waited until she heard the door close.

Emma stood up in her bed, and jumped backwards in a back flip, and landed almost soundlessly on the floor. She looked at herself in the mirror, and carefully took of her bandage, revealing nothing else but a faint line from where the panthers had bit.

“Wow.” She whispered, and stroke the area. It looked like it was years old and a good job from a plastic sergeant. Emma sank down into a split, and touched the floor with her forehead, then, she rolled backwards up on her feet.

Her ears got alerted; someone was on their way up. Quickly she took the bandage, and hid it under the madras, before diving in herself. No one could now, not yet.