Chapter fourteen -

Chapter fourteen:

Wayne sat in one of the mansion’s living rooms, and stared out the window. He had been silent most parts of the day. Six weeks had gone by since he kicked Emma out, and none of them had heard anything from her.

“I know you cared for her, Master Bruce. I still do.” Alfred said, putting down his tray.

“No,” He shook his head. “I let her stay to prevent Joker. I never cared about her, Alfred.”

“That Master Wayne, is a lie.

“It is not Alfred.”

“Then tell me, why in a mansion, Master Wayne? Why call her your niece? She could have been sent out of the country, or stayed in the cellar.”

Bruce paused, before choosing his words carefully. “I did what was necessary.”

“You did what was right.” Alfred argued.

“I should have sent her to Arkham… Two people got shot, Alfred.” He looked up at his butler.

“Emma didn’t fire those guns. Don’t you think you have punished her enough?”

“I was merciful, Alfred.”

“Do you think, kicking a 17 year old out in the middle of the winter to freeze to death is merciful?” Alfred said. Wayne didn’t answer. “You know, sometimes people are allowed to do mistakes, and this was Emma’s. But once I worked for a man who used all his resources to save Gotham, what do you think he would have said now?”

Wayne stopped Alfred on his way out. “Does the tracking device still work?”

“Oh yes.” Alfred said, a hint of a smile in the corner of his lip.