The Spirit of Spring

It took him several weeks to meet Chūntiān after his encounter with Mabon. He arrived in Argentina seeing the early signs of spring with the first growths on trees and the snow melting but there was no sign of the Spirit of Spring. As he searched, he wondered if she would even want to meet him. His season was death and cold, hers was warmth and new life. Why should she want to run into him? He shrugged those thoughts away as his search continued, still casting ice and snow in the areas he passed through. After all, it was only early spring. No one expected winter to let go that quickly. After the first week of scouring South America, moving into the tropics despite the uncomfortable temperatures, he lost the trail. Spring didn't really occur this close to the equator anyway. 

He moved west, crossing the Pacific and arriving at the multitude of Pacific Islands. He didn't spend much time in this part of the world; too hot for his tastes, but he did admit the areas were beautiful. Here were more signs of spring spreading – blooming tropical flowers and new life in the form of birds and small animals. But no Chūntiān. But at least he had picked up the trail again. He hop-scotched across the islands and moved south to New Zealand where there was even more evidence of spring in the northern half of the country. Moving south, he felt a warm breeze and landed on the banks of a river moving through a dense forest. It seemed the best location to look. 

He made his way down the bank, admiring the multitude of flowers and new plant growth from various species of plants. The warmth in the air was resonating from a secluded location on the bank between two trees. Jack silently approached to see a young woman dressed exactly as Mabon had described kneeling in the grass with a group of birds surrounding her. She was holding what appeared to be a small bunch of flowers in her palms which the birds were rapidly dipping their beaks into.

"They quite like these flowers," she said, quiet enough that Jack wondered if she was speaking to him. But as a quick scan of the surroundings told him, there was no one else there. 

"They like to drink the nectar within, you see," she continued, "Just like bees do."

He watched her closely, fascinated at the aura to calm and warmth she was emanating. He decided to risk moving closer until he silently crouched beside her, the birds retreating somewhat warily.

"Would you like to try?" she asked, finally turning to him and his breath caught in his throat. She was stunning with soft, smooth features and a gentle smile; she seemed to radiate peace and contentment. Mabon had also told the truth about the flowers; she was sitting on a patch of moss and white flowers.

He looked down at the flowers she was offering and said, "I think they'd prefer it if you did it. I'm not exactly the right kind of spirit for that."

"Nonsense," she insisted, taking his hand and giving him a cluster of pale pink flowers and he jumped at the warmth. She seemed not to mind his icy temperature and smiled, gesturing to the waiting birds who were watching him curiously. He gingerly offered a it to them and without fear, one of the bluish-black birds with a white tuft at its throat quickly grabbed it and gobbled it down, while the others moved closer, eager for their share. With a laugh, Jack opened his palm for the rest of them and marvelled at the strange sensation of their feathers brushing his hands in search for the treat.

"I heard you have been searching for me," Chūntiān said, "Mabon's winds alerted me of your desire. I am sorry that I have not met you sooner but Spring cannot wait any more than Winter can."

"I understand," he said, "That's okay. I just wanted to meet the rest of you after Mabon told me all I was missing."

She smiled and said, "Did he invite you to our little get togethers as well? He has been moaning about no one to spend Samhain with for several decades. Alsayf did recommend the spirit of All Hallow's Eve but he says he is too 'creepy'."

Jack smiled and said, "He seemed pretty excited to meet me. But what happened to the other winter spirit before me?"

Chūntiān's smile faded and she sighed. "It is best not to talk of him. It is in the past. Let us enjoy the present."

They sat in companionable silence while they continued to feed the birds until the temperatures became slightly too uncomfortable for Jack and he rose to his feet, careful not to disturb the birds.

"I should get going," he said, "Bit too warm here for my liking, no offence or anything."

"None taken. Might I recommend going west? There are some lovely alps that have the most fiendish parrots that I feel you will get along well with."

"Parrots in the mountains?" he asked, raising an eyebrow, "If you say so. It was great to meet you. I'll see you at the equinox then."

"You will be there, then? Wonderful. We have not had a full gathering for decades. Goodbye Jack Frost."

He smiled and launched into the air, buzzing with excitement that he had found yet another spirit who could actually see him and enjoyed being with him. That made two now. He contemplated attempting to meet the Summer spirit, Alsayf but given what Mabon had told him, he decided that she may not take well to his encroaching upon her territory.

As Chūntiān had told him, the alps offered the perfect temperatures, despite the warming season, and he gifted several palisaded villages at the base of the mountains with a gentle snowfall before making his way to the ridges above. To his utmost shock, there were in fact parrots present; large green birds with orange under their wings who seemed remarkably curious about his presence. It took all of five seconds for one to land on his staff and peck at his hair.

"Hey!" he exclaimed, shooing it away. It flew off with a sound that seemed to resemble laughter, landing a short distance away to watch his again.

"Oh, yeah?" he asked, also taking to the air to hover over them, "You think you're all that, huh?"

The birds all began their chorus of laughter and took to the skies and Jack gave chase, laughing at their aerial antics and offering some of his own. Chūntiān was right about these birds, they knew how to have a good time in the snow, just like him. They played and chased each other well into the night before the lowered temperatures made them all head back to large dens in the rock and Jack bade them goodnight before relaxing in a comfortable snowdrift to watch the stars. They were different to the ones he was used to back in the Northern Hemisphere, but shone just as bright, if not more so. He decided to let the matter of the Summer spirit rest for now. He'd make up his mind about her in the morning.