28) Bedtime Stories & Innocent Blood (Kelly/Glen)

(Flashback)

(Kelly)

I am sitting on the couch with Glen. He has a booboo on his eye. It’s all black and blue. I tried asking him if the bad boys at his school gave it to him, but he wouldn’t tell me. Glen looks mad. I think he’s mad because mommy and daddy are fighting again. They’ve been doing this a lot because daddy works a lot of hours at his job.

“Glen?” He looks down at me.

“Yeah?” I scoot closer to him.

“Are mommy and daddy going to get divcoursed?” He shakes his head.

“I don’t know.” I look down at my hands. Mommy helped paint my nails earlier. She had tears in her eyes but she wouldn’t tell me why.

“Why is mommy sad?” Glen sighs.

“I don’t know, Kelly. Stop asking me questions.” I stop talking and just sit on the couch. I can tell mommy is crying again and I just want it to stop.

Glen leans his head back on the couch. He starts balling his hands into fists. I see that there are booboos on his hands too. “Did the bad boys do that too?” He looks down at me and then at his hands.

“It doesn’t matter, Kelly. Be quiet.” I get up off the couch. He watches me.

“I can’t hear this no more.” He sits up and takes my hand.

“Everything will be okay.” I feel tears start to fall down my cheeks. I run into him and give him a hug. He hugs me back. “I won’t let anything happen to us. We’re gonna be fine.” I look up at him.

“What about mommy and daddy.” He picks up my chin.

“I don’t know but we will always each other.” I give him another hug. I loved my brother; he was always there for me. Glen would take care of me and we’d be okay forever.

Mommy comes walking into the living room. Her face is all red. Glen just looks at her. I wish I could make mommy feel better. I see daddy walk into the room, he looks upset too.

“Glen, please take your sister upstairs and pack your things.” Glen gives her a weird look.

“No.” She looks mad now.

“I said go.” He stands up.

“And I said no.”

“Mary, please don’t do this.” He reaches out to touch but she pulls away.

“Don’t you dare touch me you cheating bustard!” Mommy just said a bad word! I put my hand to my mouth in shock. Glen is glaring at his parents.

“Would you to just shut up?” I hug Glen around his waist.

“What did you just say?” Glen pulls away from me and walks over our mother.

“I said shut the fuck up.” Why was everybody saying bad words?

“Glen! Don’t say that!”

“Be quiet, Kelly.” Mommy and Daddy look furious.

“Don’t talk to your mother like that.” Glen starts yelling.

“Why not? You two are pathetic as parents. If you’re gonna fight don’t do it if front of her!” He points back to me.

“You have no right to speak to us like that!” Glen rolls his eyes.

“Oh, now you care. I thought you were too bust hating Dad’s guts to give a shit.” Daddy walks up to him.

“Look, Glen, I don’t know what’s gotten into you lately, but you need to apologize to your mother. Glen laughs.