4) The Inserts (Kenny)

I wake up in my cott in a cold sweat. It's been a another rough night of sleep. There are too many things circling around in my mind. I can't keep track of it all. I have an army of Inserts and civilians all around me, counting on me to be their leader. I'm leading a rebellion against Dr. Nelson Greyson, the very man who put a chip in my brain. I despise his very being; he's taken this country and all of Northern and Southern America in his grasp. He fooled everyone. He tricked the U.S. into thinking he could solve all their problems. He promised them a life of welath and happines. He said that he'd take care of their children, and their future children, for years to come. He swore that he'd give everybody a new day. He would bring a time of change. And everybody jumped on the bandwagon, but he lied. Everybody believed him., but he was a liar. He was a charmer. He could manipulate any and every situation. He rose up in politics. To be honest nobody truly knows how he came to his power; I don't think anybody ever will. He was just there one day giving out promises of a better life, and just like sheep, people bought into it. Now here we are, in this position.

I remember the day I was Inserted like it was yesterday. Maybe, because in my memories, it really wasn't that long ago. My father worked for Dr, Greyson's company. Greyson's company was named Greyson Universal. He went to college right out of High School and then went to Medical School for four more years. He studied to be a neurosurgeon and graduated with a degree. He was a Doctor. He worked in many hospitals for many years, until one day he created his own company. The company was for helping let down patients. If a certain hospital wouldn't do what the patient thought was necessary, they would come to Greyson Universal for help. He had his license for it. It all seemed to be ethetical.Greyson Universal was not what it seemed to be, below the surface Greyson was having two scientists, Nick Yarder and Kendra Stain, work on two little chips. Nick was the mastermind behind the whole idea of the chip. He originally created the chip to help people, to give people with disabilities the ability to do normal everyday things without being unable. It was a great idea to start with.

Greyson had Nick and Kendra change their chip to something more sinister than they'd ever imagined. Over the years Greyson had grown powerful. He could do things no other neurosurgeons could do. He was a genius in his field. With the more powerful people he saved, the more admiration and power he got in return. People had him in their debts.  He used the resources of that power to threaten the lives of Nick and Kendra's family. Nobody truly knows what happened to their families. I don't anybody ever will.After the chip was made, Nick and Kendra tried to get rid of it. They didn't succeed; Greyson stole the chips and hacked Nick's computers. He found the information he was looking for; almost that is.

Over time he hired more scientists and tried to have them replicate the very first chips, but without the information and data Nick and Kendra destroyed, what was lost could never be found. His scientists eventually figued out how to create a chip very similar to the first two. That is where my story begins. 

When I was five years old, I came down with cancer. I had a tumor in the back of my brain. My parents tried every hospital they could find. With every hospital they came to, the doctors said it was too risky. They wouldn't take the tumor out of my brain. Since I was my parents only child, they couldn't bare the thought of losing me. They heard of Dr. Greyson's company, Greyson Universal, and they decided to go to him out of desporation. He told them he could take the tumor out of my brain and fix me. That is exactly what he did; I became is patient and he cured me. I got the tumor out of my brain and lived to live a long happy life. So, I thought. Little did I know, but Greyson kept the files of all his patients. Over time he had a whole bunker full of the personal information of all his current, and past patients. That is how it happned. 

I was 13 years old when I was inserted. I was sitting on the floor watching TV with my parents. My parents were on the couch. Their names were Jean and Edwin Flinn. They were my biggest support group. I didn't really have anybody else, or friends. I was pretty much a loner. It's hard to have a social life when you're sick all the time. I didn't really talk to anybody other than my parents; that was excpet for my girlfriend Izzy. She was more of a close friend than anything. She was burdened with a tumor as well. She had two older twin sisters and her mother. We met in our beds after our surgery, she was on the gury next to me. We became close friends and so did our parents. We were the only people who understood each other. You can't explain to other healthy kids what it's like to be sick and facing the idea of death. They won't understand, they won't get it.