Chapter 1 {BANG}

BANG!

BANG!

BANG!

The sound of construction out my door made me want to personally punch whoever responsible. My eyes wheezed their way open to the cracked crappy ceiling of my apartment. My pounding headache reminding me of the nights previous activities.

A bottle of vodka and a whole lot of Netflix shows. A romcom was thrown in there when I was really drunk. Another failed audition, another day I could have been working as a bartender/waitress at the restaurant Yeti.

I had gotten the vodka as a gift to myself when I had gotten a huge tip. I wasn't afraid to admit I was sometimes a slight alcoholic. At least I tried to not curse to make up for it.

Sometimes it worked other times I cursed like my Italian-Russian deadbeat dad. Not that my mother wasn't someone who cursed. It was a family affair, my younger sister who lived with ma still was the worst so far.

Seventeen and cussed like a truck driver. Not that I could blame her when she had mom's stripping job to deal with.

Rolling out of my bed I slip into my slippers and stumble to the Advil popping them and drinking the last of the vodka left in the bottle. It went down with a familiar sting making me grimace and watch a bug crawl on the wall. Grabbing the bottle, I smush it and flinch as it fell to the ground dead.

Damn cockroaches in my rundown apartment.

Opening my drawer I grab my black  work dress, which had no holes in it. I had only two of these, which I prayed would last me till Christmas which would be here in 5 months. It was nice sleek and slimming dress, a good brand with a hefty price tag.

I wouldn't be able to afford to buy any more. I would ask my parents to get me one if they were able. As a present of course.

I had no intention of taking anything they were already willing to give. A ding comes from my bed as I strip out of my extra large shirt. After putting on a black bra and black lace panties, I slid the dress over it.

I walk over to my bed to see a text from my sister, Karina. The only thing I had splurged on was my phone thankfully an iPhone which helped to keep in contact with my family back in Boston.

'Mom brought home a client last night:( this is the second time this week Athena. I swear she's turning into a prostitute.'

I roll my eyes at the text, my mother was the same as she always had been.

'You stay in your room when she does that, lock the door. They normally never make a bother as long as you stay out of their way.'

I prayed my advice would be of help as I got another text from my bestfriend Gwen.

'Any luck with this audition?'

I shook my head at Gwen's confidence in me. The audition had went to shit when they asked me for  200 dollars to be eligible for the part. What scammers, it wasn't like I could have an agent find me something legit.

'Just another scam, I mean I swear I won't even know when I go to a real one.'

'Lmao, you right girl. Let's hope the next one is your chance to shine. Be safe at work, don't let those scummy business men get there grubby hands on you at that job of yours.'

I shook my head at this laughing.

'Think of me as you fight. I'm making a funny face, my tongue is sticking out and I'm winking.'

'I swear one day your going to get me killed in a match.'

'Don't die without me there to watch ;) love you girly'

'Love you the most.'

Ding

Just as I was placing my phone back down to put on my black heals it sounds. Clicking on the on button I see a text from my short term boyfriend Daren. We had only been on a couple dates, but he was nice and sweet unlike most guys in the New York area. He hadn't seen my house yet though, most guys after they do, run for the hills without looking back.

We didn't have anything really special, but I found that was how real life worked. Things weren't always as we had hoped for ourselves.

'Excited for our date tomorrow.'

I was not, we were going to dinner and I was terrified of not being able to pay for myself. As long as the food was not too fancy, I would be fine. At least I hoped I would be. Fighting to make rent was not exactly a fun experience.

My friend Gwen fought in betting matches to make ends meat. Sometimes I would have to fight my own when I couldn't make it with salary and tips.

It was grueling and I ended up bruising my jaw. I had to use a foundation I had found from amazon which was so thick to cover it for work.

'So am I! ;)'

My internal raging of nerves dragged me off to the bathroom to apply some makeup. Dampening my cheap rip off of the beauty blender I apply some foundation, bronzer, blush, liner, and some false lashes for a beautiful effect I could achieve for cheap.

It made it easier to get tips if you looked good. The black dress flattered my body shape my curves on display. My slim waist and shapely hips created a beautiful shadow in the dark. Or at least I thought so.

My brown hair was long and curly, honestly completely unmanageable. My doe brown eyes matching my hairs chocolate hue. Smiling I try my best to hide my cleavage shoving it down on the v-neck.

It seemed today would be difficult.