War of the Sexes

"Shut up guys!" I whisper to the couple behind me. The moon casts a small light off into the hallway, revealing only half of their faces.

Jim only rolls his eyes so I can see, sending the hidden message. Why did we bring them along?

Jim's father works at a secret warehouse that the government supposedly doesn't employee. All the workers officially do not exist in the government data-base. Any second, the warehouse could be blown to pieces without any warning.

Of course that's only the rumors.

Honestly, they're simply experimenting with time travel. Not exactly time travel, just the possibility of freezing people and thawing them out years later. But for lack of a better term, time travel.

Jim's father has been experimenting with eight different pods. Six of them were full of people already, waiting to be thawed out in nine years. There were two others left. Jim had been training to take over his father's job for sometime now so he knew pretty much all the ropes.

And this is where the fun comes in

Jim intends to have one of us hid in the pod, and then tomorrow while his father is giving a board meeting, we'll pop out and scare the shit out of all of them.

And guy who's the lucky one who gets to do that?

"Guys come on" Jim whispered, motioning for us to follow him into a room.

I shushed the love birds behind me, Sam and Hannah. They were madly in love and were sooo going to ruin this prank.

Jim quickly closed the door behind us when we entered the room, keeping the lights off. A faint glow rose from the eight pods lined up against the

side of the wall. The room otherwise was pitch black.

Jim walked over to the second pod from the end, leaning over and fiddling with the buttons.

I turned to face the other two "You better keep yourselves quiet. If you ruin my fun, I'll hurt you both. Painfully"

Jim chuckled, standing up "Alright, Ellie, You should be good"

I sighed, shaking my body. I wasn't going to move for a good fourteen hours. Jim motioned me over to the pod, to which I obliged

"Alright. Its not going to turn on, but once they're in the room, don't move" Jim said, opening the pod door for me.

I smiled at him slightly, stepping inside.

"You're going to hear a click and fell pressure. But don't worry. I'll fix that in a matter of seconds"

I nodded, getting myself comfy inside the cramped pod.

"You sure you want to do this, Ellie?" Jim asked

I nodded, knowing I needed this fun.

Jim nodded, lips pressed tightly together. My eyes flickered over to Sam and Hannah who were staring aimlessly into each other's eyes. I looked

back at Jim, noticing that he was looking at me.

Quickly, I leaned forward, pressing my lips gently onto his.

Even with my eyes shut, I knew Jim's were wide open. His lips didn't move out of shock. Slowly, they thawed, and began to move with mine.

I pulled away, already embarrassed by my actions.

"Just, ya know, for luck" I smiled stupidly at him

He grinned back "Yeah. For luck"

Jim leaned forward, wrapping his arms around my waist. His lips hovered above mine, so very close. I could feel them move as he spoke.

"Maybe one more?" He whispered.

My stomach was doing summersaults. My two-year crush on my best friend... finally. I bit my lips, hiding my eyes behind my bangs.

"I don't see how that could hurt" I whispered, trying to be as quiet as possible so the other two didn't hear.

Jim grinned, pressing his lips once more against mine.

"Awww!" Hannah squealed from across the room. Jim and I pulled apart, a blush creeping onto both of our cheeks.

"Uhh..." Jim said "I was uh.. .checking to make sure something was.. uh...."

"You two would be so adorable!" Hannah said, running over to pinch my cheek. "I can see it now! The next biggest thing since Brad and Lindsey got

together!"

"Hannaaahh!" I whined

"What? You two ARE totally clichéd and adorable" She grinned, pinching Jim's.

"Hannah..it was....just.... for luck"

She cooed again, Sam finally coming up and grabbing her attention "Hey baby, let them have their moment"

"Saaaam!" Jim and I whined at the same time

They laughed, moving off. Hannah turned around and mouthed 'adorable' at us.

Jim rolled his eyes, looking back at me, face still red.

"Well... that was uh..."

"Yeah" I giggled

"Alright." He said, a hand resting on the door. "If you need anything... start pounding. There's a red latch on the side if you absolutely need to get out

for any reason, but otherwise you should be good"

"Ok" I breathed.

Jim closed the door slowly, giving me any chance to back down. There was a loud click and sure enough, I felt a pressure that nearly knocked me

onto the ground. I leaned against the back of the pod for support.

And then everything went black.