one

Edited!

In a heartbeat, I was running, faster than I had ever run before. I found myself at the girl's dormitory door, and in seconds, burnt down the whole door. Panting, my eyes darted around the room. Papers were scattered across the floor, and the scent of depression hung in the air. A letter remained seemingly untouched on the tile before me, and so with trembling hands, I reached for it. As I unfolded it, my heart sunk deeper, and deeper.

Dear Natsume,

         I'm sorry about this  idea, but it's for the best. I've seen the future, I've started a revolution that could never be undone. After months of thinking it through, I realized there was only one way I could prevent it; If my presence was absent, I could save lives. I've thought it over, my Alice is destined to dominate me, I can't take it anymore. If I continue, the burden would be contagious. Let's just say I'll be content; no more pain, no more suffering. I picked the right choice. You were always there for me, whenever I reached out, you took my hand. But promise me this, take care of everyone like you used to. Forget I came into your life, give Mikan all you have. This is what these kind of people do anyways, right? They....leave a note. Look out to where we first spoke our promises, this might be your last chance to see me.

   Yours Truly -----

The name was hidden under a spill of red ink. The curtains leading to the balcony were open, which could only mean one thing.

I sprinted, and leaped out onto the balcony- and there she was; standing on the line between her words of death and life. The wind blowing her velvet hair furiously.

I called out to her, over and over again. Paralyzed, afraid of the outcome. She turned to me with that smile, that brought back a flood of memories. They flashed by me like a photobook, the pages flipping one by one. The last dance, the sakura tree, the festival, and our promise.

"I told you to stay strong!"  I screamed, reaching out towards her. Her eyes widened, and I still continue to talk. "I was with you, fighting side by side." I took a few steps more. "You're brave, I know you are,"

Just as I was close enough, I reached out. 

She stared at my hand, and a breeze caught us before she slowly extended hers.

She was going to take it, and forget everything that she planned. I was never going to let her go again. 

But, her smile wavered. "I'm not brave anymore darling. I'm all broken, it's broken me," 

Her hand dropped to her side.

"What you just said to me, think the same for yourself. Natsume, you're the one that's brave here, and never let go of that,"

She took the step backwards. 

"No!" My hands grabbed out to nothingness, and the wind catches her instead. I hauled myself to look over the rails and watched as she descended into the abyss were the darkness would slowly engulf her. Tears fell from my eyes.

drip

.

.

.

drop

.

.

.then finally, the sound I had never wanted to hear- the final destination of the fall.

.

thud....

.

.