22

He didn't give us time to wish him luck. He shut the door behind him and walked up the sidewalk, leaving Ilya and I alone.

"Do you want to get in the front seat?" he asked after a few moments of silence.

"If I move, I will either pee my pants or just fucking die," I responded, and he laughed, putting the car in reverse and getting us out of that parking lot. "Are his parents nice?"

"You're not going to die, Sloane. They'll probably be upset with David, not you," he reasoned, but I shook my head.

"They're never upset with the boys," I explained my thoughts. "It's my fault that he got me pregnant. I seduced him and now I'm pregnant and he is going to have to pay child support and I've basically ruined his life."

"You don't think that's a little dramatic?"

"Probably but I'm stressing out right now," I frowned, combing my hair to make it a little more presentable. The fact that I was meeting his parents straight off the plane worried me too; I was already looking rough and now they were going to think some ugly girl is having their grandson.

"No, they're not," Ilya laughed.

"Did I say that out loud?" I tilted my head in confusion, watching in the rear view mirror as he nodded. "Oh. Whoops."

"You kind of look like Megan Fox," he told me, and I blushed heavily. I looked nothing like the hottest woman on the face of this Earth, but it still meant a lot.

"Thanks, Ilya," I smiled, allowing myself a second to breathe. "This is just so stressful. I feel like we should've told them before I had a baby bump. Now I look heavily pregnant—"

"You don't," he said. "With that jacket on, I can't even tell you are. If you're worried about them seeing the bump, just don't take it off."

"Okay," I nodded. "Yeah, I agree with that. You know, you're a good person to talk to when I'm stressed. I'm gonna need your number or something, because I get stressed out a lot, and by a lot, I mean—"

The marimba ringtone silenced me. It was quiet for a few seconds, except for the ringing of my phone.

"Aren't you gonna get that?" he raised his eyebrows at me through the mirror.

"Right," I nodded slowly, feeling my previously chipper mood sober up real quick. "Okay. Here goes nothing."

I answered the phone with, "Hello?"

"Sloane!" David seemed somewhat excited, which I decided was a good thing. At least he wasn't crying, like I half expected him to be. "They're actually not mad at all. They didn't even say they were disappointed. They want to meet you! You guys can come back now."

"Are you just saying that so I won't freak out?" I accused as Ilya made a sudden U-turn in the middle of the road. A car honked from behind us, but Ilya only seemed to laugh.

"Would I do that to you?"

"Um, yes," I replied. "You absolutely would."

"Just call me when you get here," he laughed, and then hung up on me. I sighed, leaning back in the seat as I tried to calm my racing heart.

"You'll be fine, Sloane. They're going to love you!" Ilya told me as we made our way back. I had a hard time believing him. I didn't see myself as a very loveable person. "There's no backing out now anyways. We're here."

The drive only felt like a few seconds, but I knew it was longer. "Okay. Okay. I'm okay. Thank you for driving us, Ilya. Pray for me."

"Will do. Do you want me to help with your bags?" he asked. Our bags. I had almost forgotten they were in Ilya's trunk.

"Um, let me call David," I said. I called and informed him we were outside. He came out of one of the houses, helping me out of the car and grabbing both of our bags.

"Are you ready, babe?" he asked as we waved Ilya off. I stared at the door he came out of and shook my head.

"No."

"Great," David smiled, wrapping his free hand over the top of my shoulders. "Let's go."

The twenty steps to the door felt like a million, and I couldn't help but wonder how fast I could get away from David if I just took off in a sprint.

David didn't knock. He swung the door open and we entered a living room that housed two adults and three younger kids. I didn't even know David had siblings, and now I had to meet all of them while feeling gross and gigantic.

"David, is this your girlfriend?" the little boy stood up and approached me, placing a hand directly on my stomach. "And this is the baby?"

"Yeah, Tobes," he replied, squatting down to be eye level with his little brother. "This is Sloane, and this is baby Dobrik."

"Is it a boy baby or a girl baby?" the little boy, whose name I assumed to be Toby, asked me.

"It's a boy baby," I unzipped the jacket to show him the bump. "He lives in my tummy. See, maybe you can feel him moving."

I moved Toby's hand over a little and prayed for the baby to move, just to make the whole thing less awkward. God was on my side that night, and just a few seconds later, I felt some movements off to the side. My eyes lit up and I quickly moved Toby's hand to feel the kicks. "Can you feel that?"

"Ew!" Toby squealed, running away to hug his mom. "It's an alien!"

His mom shushed him and stood to greet me, pulling me in for an incredibly tight hug.

"Welcome to the family, Sloane," she smiled, her thick accent prominent. "We are very excited you're having a baby, right, honey?"

Her husband, David's dad, stood and hugged me after her. He said, "Yes, we can't wait to meet the grandson. We are very happy for you both."

They didn't sound very excited, but David's smile made me feel a little more welcome, so I went with it. I sat with his two sisters for most of the night, explaining how I met David and how I loved him from the first day I met him and all the other lies I was trained to tell. They asked me if we thought of any names (we had, but I kept them to myself) and if we had already started setting up the nursery (we hadn't, Natalie still had to move out), and when the baby was due (May 6th).

"So when will you tell the world?" David's dad asked towards the end of the night.

"Soon," David shrugged. "Whenever she can't hide it anymore. I still haven't thought of the best way to do it. I just want it to be perfect, you know?"

"It will be perfect," Sarah assured him. "Anything you guys do will be perfect. David, Sloane, and the baby. That has a nice ring to it."

it sure does doesnt it sarah

ive been reading some of yalls fics today and the fact that u guys call MY shitty writing good when ur writing perfectly crafted novels is so crazy lol u guys might be insane

im posting this bc i really want to post the next chapter tomorrow and stir the pot (i have issues ok i have to stir the pot) so i need to post this tonight!  double update yall lol

anyways vote and comment and follow me to let me know u enjoy!! david and sloane are kinda cute ok bye