Chapter Thirty-Two: The Watcher

The long sunset had already started and was halfway through, on the large groups fourth day of travel to Uhm'trimbyha. Ra'liel and her child had been well occupied by Fykes and Arjiah, while Sa'leid and Katerin had scouted ahead and gave them the promise of a decent place to camp at the top of the Ekylid mountains. The journey had been made even longer still by the fact that orcs roamed the mountains on both sides. Traveling quickly was difficult when you were trying to avoid the violent company of such creatures.

They had run into two scouting groups, and though none of their attackers had escaped, there would be more by the next dawn if they did not stay well hidden. Sa'leid kept his promise of a good campsite, though, and they were grateful for the thick, slanting chunks of rock near the peak of this particular mountain. That would not only save them from the wind but also from notice, tucked into the stone as they were. Magical barriers were set up, as were the several different styles of blankets and camping gear they all carried.

Everyone was exhausted, and Katerin so much so that she felt numb. Graiden had given her a locket, to keep things from affecting her mind after many nights of meeting Byron in her dreams had taken its toll. It was a terrifying experience that always ended the same way. He always left her with thoughts of the same trade--Fykes for her mother--and he had lately become far more sadistic in his attempts at persuasion.

She had worn the locket on occasion. Last night was one such occasion, so she could finally find a bit of rest. Though it had not taken the thoughts from her mind, and it did nothing to erase her fear of him. Byron seemed to be enjoying the game, but he was underestimating her.

She could withstand whatever form of torture he could conjure up, because she had to. And eventually, he would slip and say something important, give her the last key she needed to stop him. That's what she told herself, at least—it was all she had to keep going.

When the sunset finally gave in to the silver moon, dots of orange could be spotted down either side of the mountains, in the distance--orcs and their giant companions who did not care if they were noticed or not. She sighed, as they had needed to avoid at least three scouting parties that day alone, and getting down the other side would be even worse if she could judge anything by the fires in the distance.

She had learned a lot since being here—one of those things was that magic, no matter how useful, was not always reliable. She had become stronger, more willful, calmer in a fight, but her worries could strip away that focus, and currently, she had many worries tearing at her defenses.

Fykes seemed ill, and since they had left the town, he looked increasingly weaker. Sweat matted his hair and his hands were clammy, cold. His usually pale skin looked unhealthy, and the black rings around his eyes gave him a worrisome appearance. He assured them all that it was nothing to worry about.

Katerin had her suspicions. She still did not know what Byron had done to him, and the way he acted at times tore at her heart. It reminded her of her father's illness in a strange and terrifying way.

The camp stayed silent for the most part, keeping conversation to a minimum. They were all exhausted and confused, and they worked vigilantly to keep anything from spotting them. They were all tired and ready for this journey to be done. The only one who seemed unfazed by the place and the constant wind was Sa'leid, who smiled and stretched out on the rocks as if he was at home. Despite the harsh, laborious walk and less-than-perfect sleeping conditions.

Katerin took her position on watch, Sa'leid opposite her. They had climbed to the top of the rock they used as a shelter. They would be difficult to see unless they made themselves obvious. The crunching of rock underfoot and loud, labored breathing caught her ears. She peeked over the ledge of stone that concealed her. "Auglier," she hissed, immediately moving from her perch, sliding down the rock face.