Chapter Eleven: We Are The Eyes of the Wood

Katerin awoke early the next morning, anticipation eating at her. She dressed and gathered all her things from the fine room, making sure to leave nothing behind. Part of her quietly hoped she would not have to return here. There was nothing wrong with the place, but she would much rather be curling up in her favorite corner of the Tower's library with a steaming cup of mint tea. I have to hold onto home, she thought. I already have a place in life. As she entered the common room, she instantly spotted Fykes leaning casually against the bar and holding a mug in one hand. The room smelled of broth and herbs, and the instruments in the corner were still producing their soft melodies.

"Morning," he said cheerily to her, and she mumbled in response as Anteal passed her a steaming mug of coffee.

When Katerin looked up from her mug, she noticed that Fykes was wearing his armor, and had his weapons in place on his hips. "You're leaving today?" A spike of panic tore through her, from the pit of her stomach up to her throat. What am I going to do with those daggers?

He glanced at her with his eyebrows raised. "I thought so? Isn't Arjiah meeting us?"

She rocked back on her stool, a crease lining her brow. "You're coming with us?"

"What would they say about me if I let you and Arjiah head off into the woods alone?" He grinned, "Of course I'm going. Unless you'd rather I didn't."

"Well, I—"

"I'm going anyway." He spoke with a light tone, not giving her time to finish her sentence.

She glowered at him. His insistence that she was incapable of protecting herself ticked her off, but she knew he had a point, distinctly remembering the uselessness of her staff while they fought the ogres. "I'm not paying you," she said.

He gave her a dubious look, "Katerin, there are a dozen other things I could do if I ever needed money. Wait—" he said, looking as if he was on the edge of laughter. "Do you... do you think Graiden paid me?"

"Yes."

His chuckle lit up his eyes, and he leaned a little closer to her. "No. They told me that some idiot girl was trying to get herself killed and someone needed to watch her back."

Some idiot girl? she thought, anger rising up to color her cheeks. "Oh. So what is it you're doing? Babysitting?"

"No." He held up one hand. "No... I'm just trying to help you out."

"I don't need it," she said, hating the way it sounded, and knowing that she did. Still, he had no right to be so condescending about it. She stood up and grabbed her bag from the floor, thinking she could leave on her own, or at least take a moment to clear her mind.

"Katerin I don't think you do. I just..." he stumbled over his words.

Katerin ignored him and stopped mid-step to see Arjiah standing in the doorway.

"Good morning!" Arjiah called, her light and bubbly voice filling the air.

Fykes gave her a smile and a wave, and Katerin cursed under her breath.