Twenty Eight: They Came From Beneath

The scavenger group didn't go out that same day so Alec stayed in his room and flipped through some more pages of the journal. He had slipped it back into his pocket when Lydia was calmly (if that's what you want to call it) telling them to get out of her office. If he hadn't, there was no telling if he would get another chance to take it back. So far she didn't come looking for it so she either forgot or just simply didn't care.

"Still looking through those pages?"

Alec looked up to see Magnus standing in the doorway. "Yeah. It's unbelievable. They conducted so many experiments on Forsaken and it all turned around to bite them in the ass. Both figuratively and literally. There was a scientist who actually got bit on the butt."

Magnus snorted with laughter as he sat down on the bed. "That must've been a sight. Did you learn anything else that doesn't involve getting teeth sunken into inappropriate places?"

Alec flipped open to a page he bookmarked earlier. "Here. I almost didn't want to believe it when I read it but the date can't be a coincidence. It's the same date as the storm that hit Alicante."

Magnus took the book to read the entry. "So? They might've did an experiment that day-"

"No, Magnus. They wrote about Alicante. It said they rounded up the dead residents for collection but they never got around to actually bringing them back to warehouse 9 and 10."

He wasn't wrong. When Magnus took his time and actually read the entry, he saw that Alec was right. The date was the exact same as the day they climbed out of the basement and saw the wreckage the storm had caused. Now that he thought about it, he remembered seeing the city hall doors chained up before the group gathered their supplies.

"You don't think it was them who chained the city hall, do you?" He asked Alec. "Because that was my first thought when I read this. That they were responsible for gathering up the dead residents and putting them in there."

Alec ran a tired hand through his hair. "I don't know what to think anymore. Just when we finally get some answers, more questions come up. I'm fucking sick and tired of it."

It was almost unbearable to see him frustrated so Magnus placed a gentle hand on Alec's shoulder. "Hey. Don't be so hard on yourself. As far as I'm concerned, you're the most hardworking and incredible human being I've ever met. You don't see anyone else busting their ass to solve this smart zombie mystery, do you?"

Alec chuckled. "No. Mainly because no one else knows about it. Just the two of us."

"Shut up. You're ruining our soft moment here." Magnus grinned, feeling his heart swell at the sight of Alec's broad smile. "I was doing some thinking earlier and maybe we should leave this place. Like as soon as possible."

Alec straightened his back in surprise. "Leave? Really?"

"Yes. Really. Alec, I know we have a good thing going here. Better than most but the secrets that this place has....it's going to turn around and bite these people in the ass. Maybe even literally and I honestly don't want to be a part of that or even be here when it happens."

Neither did Alec. When something does happen, and he had a funny feeling that it will, he needed to get his family out of there as soon as possible. "I get it. We need to start preparing for the worst. Stocking up on supplies whenever we can. So if that means stealing then we steal. Water. Food. Weapons. Whatever we need to make a run for it."

Magnus nodded in agreement. "Copy that, big guy. I'll start making my rounds around the supply room, starting with clothes first. No one will care if a couple shirts and socks are missing."