Twelve: City of Bones

A hand clamped over Alec's mouth. Body stiffening in both fear and reflex, Alec's eyes snapped open to see who his attacker was. To his surprise, it was Magnus.

Magnus put a finger to his lips and shook his head. There was something wrong. Alec wanted to ask him what the hell was going on but his mouth was covered and there were noises coming from outside the home.

"Mm?" Alec muffled through Magnus' hand.

"We're surrounded," Magnus responded in a low whisper. "They know we're here."

Alec slapped the hand that was covering his mouth away. "Who?" He whispered. "Who knows we're here?"

"What's going on?" Isabelle had woken up at this point, her voice loud and demanding.

Alec covered her mouth. "Shh. Keep your voice down. There's someone outside."

"Or something," Jace was awake and ready to attack, weapon in his hand. "Clary, take Max and go upstairs. Quietly but quickly."

Clary nodded. "Max....Max sweetie wake up."

Max moaned. "What's going on? Why is everyone awake so late at night?"

"We're moving you upstairs, okay bud? You can sleep in your own bed," Alec smiled. He didn't want to tell the truth to Max in case he worried his little brother. "Clary is going to stay with you while the rest of us stay down here."

Max glanced at Clary, eyes squinted in suspicion. "Fine. But I'm taking my gun with me."

As Clary and Max disappeared upstairs, the adults downstairs slowly picked up their weapons and aimed them at the windows and doors. The shadows that were moving around just outside had stopped, but now they could hear chatter and feet shuffling around.

"It can't be Forsaken. They don't talk," Jace pointed out.

"Another group maybe?" Isabelle shrugged. Her dagger was sharp and shiny from the previous hours before they went to sleep when she sharpened it and cleaned it. She looked deadly.

"That would make sense," Simon whispered, "considering the size of New York and all the places that survivors could squat in."

Alec grunted in frustration. "Just keep your voices down and don't make any noise. We don't want them to find out we're in here."

Magnus snorted. "I'm pretty sure they already know, Alexander. Otherwise they wouldn't have the place surrounded like a pack of wild dogs."

A window was smashed from in the kitchen and a man holding a machete rushed into the room. Jace fired his gun and the bullet struck the man right between the eyes. He collapsed instantly.

"Shit. Everyone head upstairs-" Alec was cut off when Max screamed from the second floor. "Max! I'm coming!"

Chaos ensued as more windows were smashed in and strange people Alec had never seen before in his life climbed in. Alec shot a man as he came at him with a hammer, but quickly made his way to the staircase and took them three at a time.

"Clary! She's up there too!" Jace shouted. He was clubbed in the back of his head by a man with a shaggy beard and he fell to the floor, unconscious.

Alec was torn between going upstairs to help his little brother and Clary and going back down to help defend his home but another scream from Max drew him up the long staircase. He shot someone-a woman-who jumped out at him from a broken window and wrapped a wire around his throat.

He struggled to throw her off of him. The wire, which was one of those cords that people used to plug their phones in with, was wrapped tightly around his throat and he began to choke and struggled to breathe as he saw the edges of his vision start to go black. Wheezing, he fell to his knees and fell into unconsciousness.

Left For Dead [malec fanfiction] [complete]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara