Nineteen: Where Do We Go From Here

Max was standing just a few feet away from him. If Alec just reached out an arm, his brother could grab onto his hand and Alec could pull him from the mass of Forsaken that were quickly approaching.

"Max! Grab my hand!" Alec yelled.

Max reached for Alec's hand but could barely touch his brother's fingers. "Alec! Save me!"

"I'm trying, buddy! Just reach and grab my hand!"

Max reached further and managed to grab the tips of Alec's fingers. This was enough for Alec. He pulled and Max flew forward just in time as a Forsaken made a grab for him.

"Run, okay? Try to keep up," Alec breathed. He took Max's hand and began to run. The apartment was just off in the distance. If they could run a little faster-

"Alec," Max's small voice said.

"Not now, Max! We have to run!" Alec yelled without glancing back at his brother.

"Alec!"

Alec stopped to see what was wrong. Max had stopped in the middle of the road, head down with what looked like blood dripping off his face and hands. "Max? What's wrong?"

"You...." Max gurgled. "You promised you'd protect me."

Horrified, Alec watched as his baby brother lifted his head and stumbled backwards onto the concrete. Max's face was half torn off, revealing solid bone and muscle tissue underneath. He was missing an eyeball as well as an ear.

"Max," Alec whimpered. "I'm so sorry-"

"YOU MADE A PROMISE!" Forsaken Max yelled as he dove forward and bit down on Alec's neck-

"Alec! Wake up!"

Alec woke up. He was back inside Magnus' apartment, breathing heavily and still laying on the mattress which was drenched in his own sweat. Magnus hovered above him with a look of obvious worry on his face.

"Are you....okay?" Magnus asked.

Alec wiped a hand over his damp face. "Was I dreaming?"

"You were doing more than dreaming. You were moaning and talking in your sleep. Then you started screaming."

Alec sat up with a sigh. "What was I making a racket about?"

Magnus looked away. "It wasn't important. You're awake now and that's all that matters. Breakfast is ready when you're feeling up to it. Take your time."

Alec forced a smile as Magnus stepped out of the room. It took a few deep breaths before Alec found the energy to get up and put his clothes on. The gauze on his shoulder was covered in fresh blood so he changed it himself. It was sloppily done but it was better than nothing.

The group were all gathered around the kitchen table when he stepped out. They looked up, offered small smiles, and went immediately back to eating their crappy breakfast consisting of canned beans and what looked like eggs. Where the eggs came from, Alec didn't dare ask. Eggs were eggs at the end of the day.

"Morning," he rasped. His voice was still thick with sleep. "Did I miss anything last night?"

The group looked at each other but didn't speak. It wasn't until Jace heaved a sigh did he say something.

"You didn't miss much. Crying mostly. Isabelle gave me a black eye. But other than that, things were hunky dory."

Alec finally noticed the bruise around Jace's eye. "Izzy? Why did you punch him?"