Chapter One: Rafters

It was now night in Earthland due to the time differences in our worlds and my clothes from this world were gone. I looked around for them, then recognized where I was; I was in front of Fairy Tail. I shrugged as I opened the doors to the noisy building.

Nobody really noticed me because of the sound as I walked through the building. Not that many people were here due to the time, so I decided to watch them. I silently jumped to the rafters on the ceiling and observed. I, being the leader of the black keys, can do things the other spirits can't. Not to brag or anything, but I'm only second in power because of the Spirit King.

If he were to be destroyed in some way, I would be the most powerful spirit. I don't really care, though. It's not an accomplishment, really. I watched as no one noticed me, it was funny watching such oblivious humans. I saw the boy from earlier who had told me where this place was.

It was entertaining seeing him get flustered from being shirtless and such. Soon, he started to bore me and I started watching the barmaid. She had a red dress on and was quite pretty. All she did was clean glasses and serve the mages of the building. I looked at how the men of the place drooled over her. I rolled my eyes and saw there was a flying blue cat.

He seemed familiar, so I watched him closer and remembered the flashes of blue and pink from earlier. I squeaked in surprise and fell from the rafters. I landed on my feet as I got strange looks. I stared at the flying cat and ran to him. I was in front of him in the blink of an eye. He flew away from me to the pink hired guy and I walked towards him.

"What do you want?" The pink haired man asked rather rudely.

"What is this place?" I ignored his question.

"I told you it was Fairy Tail." The raven haired boy said.

"Yeah, but what is this place?"

"A guild." The cat answered. I remembered what Lupus told me about guilds and looked for a key holder, ignoring the pink haired man's annoying questions.

As soon as I saw that no one had Celestial magic I relaxed slightly. "Hel-lo?" A blue paw waved in front of my face.

"Y-Yeah?" I ask, snapping back into reality.

"Are you a wizard?" The cat asked.

I thought for a moment and nodded. "She can join the guild!" The cat cheered to the pink boy.

"Join?!" We yelled in unison.

"Aye, sir!" He said cutely.

I sat down, on the floor and began to think very hard about what I was doing. I would vanish soon enough because of the whole 'life force draining' thing. I wouldn't want to hurt these people, but I want to explore new things before I disappear.

"I guess, but why do you want me to join?" I asked the cat.

"You remind me of a cat!" He said as he flew on my shoulder.

My eyes widened as he said that. I would need to make up a magic type. They might get suspicious if I don't tell, right?

"What's your name?" I ask the cat as I take him off my shoulder to face me.

"I'm Happy!" He said with a smile.

"I'm Lucy." I smile back.

"Welcome to Fairy Tail, Luce." The pink haired boy said, "Name's Natsu."

I get up off the floor and dust off my short white dress. The barmaid walked up to me, holding a stamp. "Where would you like your guild mark, and what color?"

"Blue on the back of my left shoulder." I said. The girl smiled as she pressed the stamp onto my back.

I looked around the guild and felt the weight of someone's stare. I turned to its direction to see the raven haired boy from earlier. I walk over to sit next to him, and he doesn't seem to notice. I clear my throat to get his attention and he looks up, startled.

"Ack!" He yelled as he fell out of his chair. I sighed and sat in the chair he had fallen out of.

"You have no presence! You're like a hobbit!" He yelled accusingly.

"A what now?" I ask as I look down at him with a confused expression. He hadn't gotten off the floor, but didn't have a shirt on. "Your shirt."

"Wha- dammit!" He curse as he looked down at himself.

"Looks like Ice Princess is being a pervert again!" Natsu yelled. The supposed 'Ice Princess' seemed angered by that comment and he began throwing insults back and forth with Natsu.

I put my head on the table and watched as everyone else carried on, normally. These are some weird people, my kind of people. I smiled to myself as I thought of Little Lup, I gave Lupus that nickname a while ago. Sometimes I call him Lulu to get on his nerves.

Before I even realized it, I had started crying. I quickly wiped away my tears, not wanting anyone to see. I listened in on everyone's conversations. I had stronger senses then my fellow spirits, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

A few girls were raving about how I was a show off and I 'needed shoes'. I stiffled a laugh as she said that; shoes held me back from my speed and strength, but I didn't expect her to know that. I began listening as the barmaid gave advice to people a few seats away from mine.

I learned that her name was Mirajane, and the girl she was talking to was Laki. I smiled at the purple haired girl's way of speech. She made up adjectives to describe already made ones, it was quite cute.

I watched as people began slowly flowing out of the building. I had ended up being the last one there, being asked to lockup for Mira. I decided I would sleep here, in the rafters so I could keep a better eye on things. Protect the guild, in a way.

I took the black ribbon that was holding my hair in a side ponytail, out. I leaped to the rafters and went to the highest one so I could sleep more comfortably.

...

I woke up to the sound of a door opening. I peered down to see a very tiny figure walking through the doors of the guild. Thinking he was and enemy, I jumped down from the rafters in front of him. He jumped back a few feet and looked at me.

I saw that he had a shirt with the Fairy Tail symbol and stopped just before I was about to attack. I looked at him confused, and he did the same. "Why are you here?" We asked at the same time.

"I am the master of this guild." He answered.

I gaped in surprise. "I'm so sorry!" I said as I bowed in apology.

"It's fine, really. So you're a new member?" He asked as I showed him my shoulder.

I nodded nervously as he scratched his chin. "Why were you here this early?"

"I was... asked to lock up last night, and... I thought it'd be safer if I... watched the guild all night, so I slept in the rafters." I lied.

He eyed me suspiciously, but eventually started walking to the stairs that led to the second floor. "Make sure you don't stay here every night." He said as he made it to his office.

I sighed in relief as he shut his door. I walked out of the guild and started exploring the town more. I saw that not many people were awake, so I made my way back to the guild. I was about to step inside when I felt a pain in my chest. I lurched forward and fell to the ground.

"Luce!" I heard someone yell from behind me.

"Dammit." I cursed as I started to stand up, ignoring the pain. I plastered a smile on my face as I turned around to see Natsu and Happy. I waved to them as they appeared at my side.

"Are you okay?" Happy asked me.

"Just fine." I replied with a fake smile.

"So... do you want to go on a job?" Natsu asked.