Chapter Four: Lupus

Natsu had cheered up that same afternoon. It was mainly because Happy hadn't actually gone on the fish request, he just wanted to punish Natsu for 'betraying him,' as he put it.

"Lushee, he did betray me! He did!" Happy brought me into the debate.

"Uh..." I began but was interrupted by Natsu.

"No! I bought you more fish! That's not a betrayal!"

They continued to bicker until Gray had commented on Natsu's noisiness, making them fight instead.

"Isn't he adding to the noise?" I said softly to myself, and I heard a familiar laugh.

I got up so fast I knocked over my chair, causing Natsu and Gray to stop fighting. "Lucy, are you okay?" Gray asked.

"Y-Yeah... I just have to go shopping. Yeah; I forgot that I need to buy something for... someone..." I searched for an excuse and ran out of the guild.

...

"Why are you here?!" I shouted when I was far enough away from the guild.

"I thought you'd be more happy." Lupus pouted as he finally showed himself.

"No; I'm not. You're going to disappear if you stay too long." I warned.

"I know; I'm only here sending a message." He explained.

"O-Oh," I said. It was stupid to think he came for me. "Well, hurry and tell me so you don't get in trouble."

"Leo isn't with Karen anymore. He's starting to use his own magic to survive without a gate closure." Lupus explained.

"Why?"

"Protesting Karen on her treatment of Aries ."

"He can't do that! He'll make Karen hurt her more!" I yelled. How could he be so stupid?

"He's using Karen's magic first, then he'll use his..." I understood now.

"That's practically torture..."

"On a lighter note, those humans you were with seemed interesting; tell me more about them next time."

And with that, Lupus left me. Leaving only his scent behind. "Smells like home..." I said to myself before running into town.

...

Seeing as how I said I had to buy something, I decided to not make it as bad of a lie and look for something in the shops. I still had more than half the money from my job with Natsu and nothing to spend it on.

I decided a weapons shop would be a good idea. Make fighting more fun, ya' know? Soon, my eyes fell upon a spade-tipped whip.

"It's perfect~!" I cried as I went to the counter to buy it. It was a reasonable price and it was too pretty to leave on a shelf.

At the counter, a scarlet haired woman was arguing with the cashier about the authenticity of a spear. I decided maybe today wasn't the best day to... officially purchase something. I place the exact amount of change for the whip and put it on the shelf where I found it. Next, I sprinted out the store back to my guild.

It didn't take long to get to Fairy Tail. Maybe a minute or two.

If only Lupus had stayed for that. He would've loved it.