28.Happy Birthday

For once in my life, I woke up to a perfectly normal day where no one was trying to kill each other or a crash was being heard,  instead, it was tranquil. Glancing at the clock, I saw the time 10:11 and it hit me. Today was Brett's birthday. Jumping out of bed, the cold hit me like a brick. It was then that I remembered what I was wearing, or should I say the lack of what I was wearing. I threw on a robe and fastened it tightly before creeping outside of the room. The floorboards creaked as I maneuvered into his bedroom and I willed them to quiet. A sleepy Brett topped the bed and I stalked over to him before I was right behind him. When I heard the faint single breath from his slumber, I sprang.

"Happy Birthday!" I screeched as I plopped down beside him on the bed. His body came off the bed quite a bit before it plopped back down and a grunt left his lips.

"I swear to god." His moan muffled by the pillow.

"You swear to god what?" Brett's head turned to me flushed with anger before he rolled back over. Even though it was his birthday, I took the task of waking him up upon myself and rolled over on top of him.  "Brett!" I cooed.

"You're crushing me." He hissed keeping his eyes glued shut.

"I only wanted to wish you a happy birthday." I let my best innocent voice peak through and he opened his eyes. His blue eyes took in my face before he turned, causing me to roll with him.

"For the love of Lucifer let me sleep." The line from blended made me chuckle and I rolled away content with him wanting to sleep in on his birthday.

"Whatever the grouch wants. I'm going to go start making breakfast."  With that, I whipped around and out the door and into the kitchen. I thanked the lord that there were eggs in the fridge and a new loaf of white bread. I took my time as I cut out holes in the bread, buttered the bread, then cracked the egg into the hole. Eggs in a basket was his favorite, and I started a different plate with scrambled eggs. Scrambled eggs were my favorite. The bacon sizzled when I placed it on the pan, and next to it, I put down the holes from the bread to make a sort of toast.

Bacon wafted throughout the house, so I wasn't surprised when I heard a stirring upstairs. Smiling at my victory of getting him out of bed, I finished setting the plates and turned towards a groggy Brett.

"Eggs in a basket?" I displayed the plate as I nodded.

"You know me, Angel." He took his plate from my hand and we sat down to eat. Silence wavered in between us as we picked at our food.

"How'd you sleep?" I asked in between bites, not able to stand the silence.

"I was sleeping just fine until you had to come and disturb me."

"I blessed you with the presence of bacon!" I said plopping a forkful Of eggs in and pointing at him with the fork. "Don't be ungrateful!"

Another uncomfortable silence seemed to resume and I searched my mind for something to say. "You want some orange juice?" Was that the only thing I could think of to say?

"Yeah, I'll get it." He said.

"No, I got it." I was already jumping out of my chair and walking to the fridge.

What was wrong with me?

Returning, I saw Brett's fork on the table and he studied me as I poured him a glass. My skin seemed to ignite as I could feel his stare on my back. We made eye contact, and I broke it after a second too long of staring.

As I sat back down I opened my mouth to ask what he wanted to do when I was interrupted with, "Is this too much?"

He must have seen the look of confusion pass on my face when he continued. "These... lessons of ours?" Not knowing how to respond, I opened my mouth and shut it. "I know I was really looking forward last night-"