14. Family

^Robin Tunney as Mrs. Lee

An abrupt knocking startled me out of my deep and restful sleep against Brett's chest. Brett started to stir as someone outside went ham on the doorbell. Instead of light filtering through the blinds, darkness greeted us. A groan left my lips as I removed myself from his warmth and upward to look at the time.

4:12 am

I knitted my eyebrows together as I pondered...

Who would be here at this time at night?

"Brett?" I whisper yelled shaking his arm. "Wake up! Their's someone at the door!" After a few groans, his eyes snapped open. He read my worried expression and peeked over my shoulder.

"It's 4 am! Go back to sleep. " Brett protested trying to sink back into the couch. "Just a ding dong ditch!" The banging persisted causing me to snap my head to the door.

I was too tired to argue. Frowning, I padded toward the door. Whoever was repeatedly beating at the door, had better have a good reason. I began hunting for the keys and dropping them due to my sleep deprivation.

The thought that maybe the person behind this door wanted to rob or kill us didn't cross my mind till I twisted the lock. Grabbing a sneaker from beside the door, I prayed that whoever it was on the other side of the door had left.

Cracking open the door an inch, a woman met my gaze who looked all to familiar. For a second I had hope, then I remembered the type of woman she was and the hope diminished.

"Angelina!" Her breath hit me like a bad nightmare sending me recoiling back. Beer stained teeth and hazel eyes stared back at me as she put her hand on the door and pushed it back slightly. Her short brown hair was the only thing that looked healthy compared to the rest of her train wreck. You could see the alcohol abuse in her glazed over eyes as she looked me up and down. One eye had a single fake lash, and the other one was strangely bare. Wearing a Grey 3 quarter sleeve shirt and green see-through pants with a pink thong underneath, I became completely repealed.

"What do you want?" I asked keeping my voice cool but yet having an undertone as if to say 'you're not welcome here.' In such a daze, I hadn't realized that Brett had appeared until I felt him remove the shoe from my hand.

The lady cluelessly laughed at me as she tried to brush past me. Brett, however, pulled me behind him and placed his hand on the door frame, forcing her back.

"Welp!" My mother was still grinning. "I was just coming to-" She stopped and hiccupped once before beginning to speak again. "Welp-" She scrunched her face up and asked herself, "What was it?"

Whatever she had came here for was making me very annoyed.

"Oh!" Her eyes widened. "Your boyfriends hot!" Reaching her hand towards him and touching his arm with a growing muscle, I flicked her hand away.

"Don't touch him!" I said not wanting her to contaminate him. Brett was pure, and her touching him made my insides scream. Her eyes widened at this but this only made me narrow mine at her.

"How dare you speak to your mother that way!" Eyes twinkling with pure outrage my body mentally prepared for the slap despite Brett blocking me from her. "Now excuse me!" She said as she tried to thrust past Brett.

"No guests in the West's house at this hour." Brett said coldly to my mother as he straightened himself in the door frame in a challenging way. He towered above my mother and my mother still managed to laugh.

"And who do you think she is!" She thrust her finger at me yelling now. "She's a Lee!"

"What did you want!" I said matching Brett's cold voice.