Twelve

The guys were weary of me at breakfast and completely avoiding eye contact so I figured I should clear the air.

"Sorry I was a dick last night." Max tried to interrupt me but I held my hand up. "So you both know that the mystery caller's name is Lydia. When I got my new phone number, I took her boyfriend's number who had died in a car accident a few months earlier."

"Shit," Kyle commented.

"So when she heard me answer instead of his voice on the voicemail heading, she was upset and hung up. Obviously we've been talking back and forth but yesterday she called me crying because she already blames herself but at Thanksgiving his parents basically said they would never forgive her."

"Christ man." Max swung an arm around my shoulders in a brotherly manner. "Then she just hung up? Have you talked to her?"

"Yeah, she called this morning but it's still bugging her a lot. We agreed to chat later today."

We all sat in silence until Kyle decided to open his mouth.

"So you like her, like her?"

"No shit Sherlock," Max scoffed and I chuckled.

"Yeah, I do."

———

"Hi James." Lydia answered my call quickly when I called right at five.

"Were you waiting for my call?"

"Maybe."

"Good thing I'm timely then huh?" She laughed.

"Yes but I figured the impatient man would be. How was your day?"

"The usual. Classes were boring and journalism finals aren't too much to worry about. How's your project going?"

"I'm really happy with how it's turning out but it will be nerve-wrecking to wear my emotions on my sleeve in front of everyone like that."

"It will but I think it will help you feel better."

"I think so too."

"Am I allowed to meet you after your composition or do I have to remain anonymous?" I assumed she would be playing live music in time with her video so I would obviously see who she is and I prayed that she'd be okay with meeting me by then.

"I'm not sure. Can I let you know?"

"Of course. Would it be possible to get a sneak peek?"

"I'm not finished yet."

"What about what you have finished?" She stayed silent in thought for a few beats.

"Okay, but it seriously isn't finished yet."

"That's fine Lydia, you'll be amazing. I'm ready when you are." I heard her taking deep breaths and I pulled my phone away to put it on speaker.

A shy yet joyful melody flowed through my phone. It was upbeat, exuberant, and happy. The tempo was a bit all over the place but I guessed that was so it could match her drawings. The jolly tune slowly turned more graceful and I could feel the love pouring through every note. She cut herself off suddenly and I quickly turned her off speaker so our conversation could remain private; you truly never knew who was listening through these paper thin walls.

"Sorry, I can't play the next part yet."

"That's alright, it's absolutely beautiful Lydia."

"Thank you."

"You're very welcome."

"I want to work on this a bit more. Talk to you tomorrow?"

"Definitely. Bye Lydia."

"Bye James."

"Was that her playing the piano?" I almost ran into Lindsay the second I opened my bedroom door. It normally would have bothered me but I was in a great mood.

"Yes, it's for her art final. She's written a composition and is pairing it with some drawings to show her story."

"Her story? The accident?" Max must have told her already.

"Yeah. Do you want to come to the show? It's next Tuesday at six."

"We'll all be there! I can't wait to meet her!"

"Me too Linds, me too."