Five

"So her name is Lydia huh?"

I jumped so hard my precious new phone flew right out of my grasp and crashed into the wall with a resounding thud.

"What the fuck Max!" I ran over to my phone and the screen thankfully hadn't shattered from the impact.

"Is Lydia the mystery caller from September?"

"Yes, eavesdropper, she is." Max rolled his eyes at the eavesdropper comment although he knew it was his one true weakness.

"So you guys are talking now?"

"Why are you suddenly interested? You and Kyle ripped on me for the past two months!"

"We were just messing around James. If I had known you actually liked her it would've been different." I looked to my friend and exhaled harshly. There was no need to be defensive towards him; we were there for each other since we were fourteen and that would never change.

"I don't know if I like her but I care about her."

"Okay," he said and smiled lightly before leaving my room. Was Lindsay finally starting to rub off on him after three years? "Kyle might not feel the same, but I'm happy for you James."

"I might not feel the same about what?"

"Jesus, is there a new eavesdropper in the apartment? What the hell is this?"

"Seriously," Kyle popped his head in my doorway, "I might not feel the same about what?"

"James is talking to mystery girl," Max yelled from the other room.

"WHAT!" Lindsay's voice screeched and she came barreling down the hall before leaping onto my bed. "JAMES! I HAVE A THOUSAND QUESTIONS!"

"I'm first Linds!" Kyle fought but Lindsay had already started her list.

"What's her name? What does she look like? How old is she? Does she go to our school? Actually, if she's old then maybe she doesn't. If she is in college though, but doesn't go to our school then where does she go? Does she live around here? When can I meet her?"

I stared wide-eyed at my best friend's girlfriend in complete shock. I had never heard her talk this much except when she was in a fight with Max.

"Come on babe, he'll tell us what he knows I'm sure, right James?" Max saved the day and pried Lindsay from my bed. "Also, don't go on James' bed, you never know what's been there."

"Excuse me? First, I wash my sheets every week and I've never, and I do mean never, seen you wash yours. Second, when is the last time I brought a girl here?"

"I thought nerds got tons of action after high school," Kyle commented, Max chuckled, and I glared at them both.

"Just because I don't bring them here doesn't mean I'm not getting any."

"Stop it, all three of you! James, tell me about this mystery girl," Lindsay ordered. I huffed and dove in; I guess this school-girl gossip session couldn't be avoided.

"Her name is Lydia and I've literally been talking to her for two days. So can you all just lay off?"

"Two days? You met her in September!" Kyle shook his head and went to leave. "No wonder you never bring any girls over man, you work slowly."

"Don't listen to him James," Lindsay said and sat with me on the edge of my bed. "I think it's good that you're talking to her. She seemed to get under your skin right away."

"She did. I mean I don't know if I like her, like her but I definitely care about her. Lindsay, I don't even know her though, am I crazy?"

She shared a secret smile with Max.

"No, you're not crazy. Keep me in the loop when you have answers to my other questions yeah? Actually, I'll make you a list do you don't forget," she joked.

"Thanks," I chuckled and looked down at my phone again until I heard them leave the room.

I couldn't wait until tomorrow.