Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter Nine

On Friday evening, a reflection of a self-assured woman in a green dress stared back at her. Its colour lent more depth to her eyes. Taking out a red lipstick, Lilliana applied a fresh coat, admiring how the outfit's backless feature accentuated her toned body. The kickboxing classes with Lara and Alicia had been worth it.

Grabbing a light shawl, she went downstairs. Not one for wearing too much makeup or even a fancy updo, she had made an exception tonight. In short, she had taken great lengths to get ready for tonight's date, if that's what it was.

"Mamma Mia." Lara whistled as she threaded her way into the living room, bearing a plate of pasta. Plopping down on the sofa, she eyed her. "This is the best look I've seen on you in ages. Who are you trying to kill this time?"

On the verge of giving her an ambiguous response, Lilliana changed her mind and replied, "Thomas Sullivan."

The clatter of the fork on the plate preceded Lara's astonishment. "The guy whose father is a senator of New York and has oodles of cash. That Thomas Sullivan?"

"No, the guy I grew up with," she corrected Lara, rolling her eyes.

"Oh, yeah, that too. But didn't you guys stop talking? I never understood why. I remember he was full of himself, not the type who would hang out with us ordinary people." Lara picked up her fork. "So, what changed now?"

She couldn't fault Lara. His aloofness to Lilliana's social circle tainted her friend's prejudice. Thomas had never endeared himself to them. But she had seen the other side of him too, a caring side. "We started talking again. He has been through a great deal."

"Yes, the famous divorce that was splashed across the gossip columns." Lara's voice came out muffled from a mouthful of pasta. "I bet there is a lot to talk about."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lilliana asked defensively.

"The last I knew you had sworn off men and now you're going out on a date. Have you seen your dress?" Lara pointed the obvious. "It says, ravish me."

"Lara!" she reprimanded, though without a bite, her cheeks stinging with heat. "You're overthinking this. He's just someone I've known for a long time." Well, someone who I've secretly crushed on like forever.

Lara wasn't far off from the truth. Something inside her wanted to tell Thomas that she was worth another look. It was as if she wished to salvage some of the old ache which still throbbed in her chest. She had been in love with him, and he had preferred anyone but her. And now the tables had turned.

Lara let out a wistful sigh. "I bet he doesn't have any money problems like us. The Sevens called today to follow up." Shaking her head, she feigned enthusiasm. "Anyway, I hope you have fun tonight."

"Have a little faith." Lilliana comforted her. She didn't have the heart to tell Lara about the real reason she had renewed her friendship with Thomas.

"Lily, if you don't mind my saying, I thought you didn't like this guy for becoming an insensitive jerk. At least that's the impression I got." A frown tugged Lara's lips.

Taken aback by her observation, this time, she opted for a noncommittal answer. "We all change. I can't resent a man forever for his change of fortunes."

The doorbell chimed, putting an end to their conversation. Lara sprang to her feet. "As much as I would like to see Mr. Richie Rich, I better go and get my fill from the bedroom window. But I want all the naughty details later." She wiggled her eyebrows in mischief before climbing the stairs.

Pivoting around, Lilliana went to open the door. Her breath whooshed out of her when Thomas came into view. He looked good enough to eat. Had he grown more handsome since the last time she had seen him? It was impossible, but her pulse skittered out of control.