Chapter 1: Welcome to my Life (The beginning, duh)

My stomach rumbled and cramped in protest. Paralyzing me to the spot. Slowly, I breathed in the damp forest air to adjust to the familiar pain that plagued me each and every day. What I wouldn't give to have a nice deer stake right now. My mouth watered at the thought of it, making my stomach growl some more. After another breathing session to make sure I didn't succumb to the pain, I moved again. Crouching low in the bush I looked for any tracks but there was none. NONE! I knew this was going to happen and what it meant, it was time to move to greener pastures. Crap... Everything had either fled or was dead by my hands. Hey, a girl had to eat and squirrel could only go so far. Squinting in the light my blue eyes complained from the strain, which I pointedly ignored.

"If I don't get some food soon, you won't have to complain because I will be dead!" I whispered out loud to my stomach.

I usually talked to myself for comfort and would have whole conversation with my other voice... It was entertaining and made me feel like I wasn't alone. But often I would feel the void. I clutched the tree branch beside me in frustration, which bit into my skin. Humans loved to have company from the others around them, or so I was told once and also felt often. But I was a loner and so was the whole human population. Since the war happened. Ha! The war What a bloody joke! I growled in irritation. What I wouldn't give to live in that time to smack everyone over the head and shake them until they were goo on the ground.

Technology had made everyone life's easier back then. Mellower. I wish my life was like that. Technology could do the hard job while they just sat back and relaxed. Maybe sit back and eat. My stomach growled again and I hunched over from the pain. If only I had a time-do-hickey that would go back in time, but then again that would require technology and that was off limits. I shuddered at the thought. Technology had made it possible to do the impossible and discover the truth about the things unknown. They could travel deep into the sea without dying from the depths for goodness sake, wasn't that enough! NO! They relied on the technology and multiplied like bacteria going over the limits of the world.

They were so over populated and relied on the power of technology that they were too lazy to do something about it. Sure they were able to create more food from cloning, which was good, but that just made it so they could over populate more. Dumb asses. Since they were overpopulated they decided to use technology in a counterproductive way and kill half of our race. Idiots. If only they could of known what would happen in the future, maybe they would have gone about it differently.

I sighed out loud, as I felt my rage deplete, I brushed back my chestnut brown hair that didn't fit in my ponytail. I couldn't do anything about the past, I could only look forward to the future. And that looked pretty bleak. It consisted of waking up, hunt, Archery practice, looking for unwelcomed humans tracks, then eat if I had food and then go to bed. And maybe if I had enough time I could sneak in a book to read. I had two in total which I utterly adored. The books were, Romeo and Juliet and Lord of the flies, these tales I could travel to different worlds were I would place myself in the main characters shoes. And sometime the other characters too. It was the only relief I would have from this bleak life. Sometimes I would get so depressed I would go to bed praying that I wouldn't wake up again. But of course I did, I have contemplated death many times, but to do that I would have to break my mother's promise.

Suddenly, I spotted movement to my right and I froze in place. Food or foe? Crouching slowly to the ground I laid flat on my stomach in the long grass which hid me. My adrenaline started to pick up at the slight thought of the fight that laid ahead. But which one would it be? To defend or lash out. To kill or be killed. It was the fight for survival like in Lord of the Flies. I just wonder if I lost my humanity like them. If another human appeared, would I seem normal or like savage to them? Although, I wouldn't give them enough time to think. I would shoot a arrow right into their heart before they said a word.