3. Friend or Foe?

Serena appeared in the middle of her living room, her arms still tightly wrapped around little Harry Potter.  She had no idea what was going on, but she knew that Sirius would not have had her take Harry if there hadn't been some kind of danger.  She was just going to have to wait until she saw him again to get some answers.

Immediately, she pulled out her wand.  Her intention was to cast as many protection spells as she could remember, but she thought better of it.  If any Death Eaters came looking for her, or Harry, they would be looking for a place that was once there that was now gone.  Protection spells would hide her flat, but it would also point Voldemort's lackies in the right direction, and she didn't want that.  Besides, with her special gifts, she could protect Harry all on her own.  Sirius had no idea how right she was for the job.

She put her wand back into her belt and walked aimlessly around the room.  She had no idea what she was supposed to do with herself or Harry.  She was terrible at waiting for anything and she had no baby supplies whatsoever.  What happened if Harry got hungry?  She didn't even know when Harry had eaten last.  For all she knew, it could have been hours ago.  She gazed down at him.  He seemed content in her arms.  He balled his hand into a fist and shoved the whole thing in his mouth, chewing on it.  She wondered if the little guy was nervous.  After what he'd been through tonight, she wouldn't doubt it or blame him.

Serena thought for a little while before she decided to wait to try and feed him anything.  As late as it was, she speculated that Lily had just laid him down for the night, or was preparing to when Voldemort attacked.  She swayed Harry a little as she walked over to the window.  He laid his head lazily against her shoulder.  She continued to sway him while she glanced out into the street below.

Everything seemed to be fine.  It was quiet and desolate now.  The last few people down there were probably heading on home, she reasoned.  Halloween was almost over.

Suddenly, her thoughts jumped to Sirius.  Where was he?  He should have been back by now.  What was taking so long?  Was he in trouble?  She wanted so badly to know who had been coming up those steps and why he had wanted her to leave with Harry.  She was worried too about what he had said to her about Azkaban.  What had he done that could possibly land him in prison?  She bit her lower lip.  Sirius had been there for her when she had no one else, when her world came crashing down around her.  She couldn't stand it if anything happend to him.  Her thoughts drifted to the night they talked alone for the first time.  It had been just outside of the school, the same night that Severus left...

The rain was still pouring down, but Serena paid no attention to it as she slowly made her way back up to the castle.  She was soaked and her clothes stuck to her skin like they were full of a million tiny leeches.  Tears flowed from her eyes as the realization hit her: her best friend was gone and he wasn't coming back.

Serena made it all the way to the courtyard before she collapsed on the cobblestone walk way, deep sobs escaping her that caused her whole body to shake.  Severus had been the only person she had left.  She was completely alone now.  There would be no one to care for her.  At least, that's what she thought.  But she didn't know that there was someone there in the courtyard with her.

A gentle hand landed on her shoulder and she jumped, her head snapping in the direction the hand had come from: behind her.  There was a boy standing there, but his identity was a mystery due to the relentless rain and the darkness.  It wasn't until he spoke that she realized who he was.  It was Sirius Black.

"I heard you crying.  What's wrong?"

She doubted he could see who she was or he wouldn't have bothered to stop and ask her if she was okay, or even talk to her for that matter.  He had made it very plain, on several occasions, that he didn't associate with Slytherins.