17. Harry's Plan

A week had gone by before Severus ever worked up the nerve to talk to Serena. Even with pep talks from Sirius (as strange as that was), he just couldn't bring himself to do it. He kept replaying that scene over and over in his head. How could he have been so callous with her? She told him she loved him and he ignored her like she never spoke at all. Serena might not want to see him. The thought of her refusing to see him crept into his mind. He wouldn't blame her. But he had to try.

Serena didn't have a set schedule for anything. She was just staying there because she and Harry were in danger. (Perhaps now more than ever.) So Severus knew where to find her. He climbed the stairs to the seventh floor and walked briskly to the door of her quarters. He raised his hand to knock and stopped just before making contact. A heavy sigh escaped his lungs. Finally, he knocked.

He heard a faint rustling from inside the room and took a step back when he noticed the shadow at the door. A few seconds later, there were several clicks and then the door opened slowly. Serena stood there with her hair pulled back loosely in a ponytail, wearing an emerald green dress. She looked beautiful.

"Can we talk?" Severus asked. His voice was quiet. The guilt he felt was weighing heavily on his heart. "Please."

Serena's eyes bore into his. He could tell that his presence pained her. She swallowed nervously. "I'm not sure that's such a good idea."

Severus's face fell. "Of course. It's completely understandable. I hurt you. I never meant to." He pressed his lips together. "But do know that I love you, Serena. I should have said it to you that night, before I left, but I was being stupid."

She cocked her head to the side. "Why do you say that?"

"Because even though I told you that I knew you'd never hurt me, I believed the woman that tortured me was you. She looked like you in every way. She had your voice. Everything. I was so convinced that I acted foolishly." He took a moment to take a breath. "Please forgive me."

Serena stepped took a few steps back. Severus thought she was going to slam the door in his face, but instead she insisted he come in. A small smile spread across his lips as he stepped into her quarters and she closed the door behind him.

"Sirius told me he talked to you just the other day," Serena revealed. "I told him not to, but he seems to have a talent for disobeying rules and requests."

Severus cleared his throat. "I'm glad he did actually. He convinced me that I was being ridiculous."

Serena walked over to the couch and sat down. She patted the cushion beside of her, urging Severus to do the same. He did, but he didn't sit too close. Baby steps, he thought to himself.

"You weren't being ridiculous, Severus," she assured him. "I understand. Just as I told you. I can't imagine what you went through in the time you were gone. I don't know who the woman was or why she wanted to look like me-"

"She knows I love you," Severus said, cutting her off. "I told her because from the first moment I saw her, I thought she was you."

"Then it had to be someone we know."

He shook his head. "I don't know anyone in the world that looks like you."

Serena thought for a moment. Then something occurred to her. "But what if whoever it was, was using Polyjuice Potion? They could have looked exactly like me and you would have never known the difference."

Severus had to admit that he had never thought of that. "True." He frowned. "But it would have taken a tremendous amount of power to hold it that long. I was there for days."