16. Term Begins

Days past and it was finally time for school to begin at Hogwarts.  Serena woke Harry, who was fast asleep in the private quarters Dumbledore had give her to stay in, bright and early.

"It's time to get up!" Serena said loudly.  "School starts today!"

Harry opened his eyes immediately and hopped out of bed.  Serena couldn't help but giggle at his enthusiasm.  She didn't have to tell him to start getting ready.  He knew what today meant for him.  Sirius promised to take him somewhere and he couldn't hardly wait.  Sirius came to pick him up about an hour later, with just as much excitement on his face as Harry had displayed.

"You two please be careful," Serena pleaded, catching Sirius's eye.  "I want to see you both back here in one piece."  It had taken a bit of convincing to let Harry go.  She finally caved when Sirius reminded her of his love and loyalty to her and to the boy.  "Now give me hugs."

Harry hugged her tightly and then stepped outside the door.  Much to her surprise, Sirius wrapped his arms around her too.  He leaned in close to her ear.

"Stop worrying.  I won't let him out of my sight."  He smiled as he pulled back from her.  Then he whirled around to face Harry.  "Come along, Harry.  I don't think you're going to want to miss this."

Serena watched as Sirius took Harry's and and disappeared down the hallway.  She was reluctant to let him go without her, but Sirius had nearly insisted.  His arguement was that he wanted Harry to experience everything the other children were going to, that he didn't want to make any bigger difference than was already inevitable with Harry's involuntary defeat of Voldemort.  It won her over quickly.  It was what was best for Harry and both of them knew it.  Still, she was worried about all that had come to light upon Severus's return.  With an unknown threat out there, was it really wise to be parading him around in public?  She sighed wearily.  It was a tough decision to have to make.  She was thankful that Sirius had been present to assist her.

"You're in very deep thought this morning."

Serena whirled around, her heart skipping a few beats.  She had been so wrapped up in her thoughts that she hadn't even heard him come in.  "Severus, it's good to see you.  Shouldn't you be resting?"

"I'm perfectly fine.  Besides, I've been cleared," he said.  "It took some convincing, but Poppy finally gave in."

"Has your return been cleared with Dumbledore?"

Severus avoided her eyes.  "I haven't mentioned it to him yet.  He was my next stop.  I wanted to see you first."

She smiled.  "I'm glad you came."  She reached out to touch him and he took a step back.  Her green eyes met his dark orbs for only a second before he looked away.  "Severus-"

He put his hands up to sto her.  "It's not you.  I just-  I need some time to process.  I know you would never hurt me, Serena."

No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't keep the hurt from her face.  "Good."  She placed her hands behind her back.  "I'm glad."

Severus lifted his eyes to her once again.  "I've hurt you."

"No.  Well, yes, but I understand.  It's okay.  You've been through a horrible ordeal."  Her voice cracked a little as she continued.  "Just know that I'm here if you need me, okay?  Whenever, wherever."

He nodded.  "Okay.  Thank you."  He stood there for a moment, awkward silence between them. "I suppose I should inform Dumbledore of my intentions.  Excuse me."

Serena watched him go with a heavy heart.  He was nearly to the door when she mustered up the courage to speak what was on her mind.  "I love you."