Chapter 14

"Is the music fine?" Alec asked. 

I nodded my head. I didn't know who was singing or how old the song was. It was just another country song to me. Alec smiled and relaxed at my response. He must have really liked the song and wanted me to like it too. I wanted to love it but it was just background noise to me. 

Alec had knocked on my door at exactly 9 am. When the kids heard his voice they barrelled him over. Bobby wanted him to play games with him. The girls where already climbing up him like a human tree. By the time he walked in the house, Bri was on his back and Anna was clinging to his arm like a kola baby bear. 

It was beautiful to see them so happy and carefree. My presence in their home was dampening their natural exuberance. I was having an effect on their childhood.  When we left, they were very disappointed that Uncle Alec wasn't staying to play with them. They were even more upset when they heard we were going to the beach without them.  

"It still looks the same." I said staring out my window. 

"What does?" Alec asked.

"The coast. All the rocks, the waves crashing on the shoreline. It's still the same." I observed. 

It was a comfort to see some part of the world had stayed the same. 

"Well here we are." Alec said, pulling into the parking lot. 

I wanted to stay in the truck and enjoy the view, but he was already opening his door in excitement. The truck was warm. Even though I had dressed for the weather, my body wasn't regulating heat very well.  

"So how about we start with a walk." He said as he opened my door, eyes shinning bright. 

I nodded. I was hesitant but I didn't want to disappoint him. 

"The last time I was here was with my team mates." Alec said, smiling back.

"Really? How was it?"I asked, trying to concentrate on his conversation. The breeze felt frigid to me. I pulled my sweater tightly around my trying to keep the warmth in. 

"It was fun. My best friend's, Kevin's bachelor party. We ended up on the beach at three in the morning with a bonfire that lasted till sunrise. Completely unplanned. Somehow Kevin lead us there after the bar hopping. Goofy and fun. He's full of life and is more outgoing than I am." Alec said. 

I smiled at him, letting him continue to talk. I wanted to concentrate on his words but I couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting cold. The breeze was creeping into my bones.  How far was the shoreline? Why was this walk taking so long?

"and that's how he ended up taking a polar bear swim." Alec said. 

I smiled and nodded again. I had missed part of his conversation. What was a polar bear swim? Did people wear costumes whilst doing it or was it a fundraiser for a polar bears?  

"Do you want to put your feet in the water?" Alec asked, kicking off his trainers. 

The sea foam was white as it broke on the shore. It looked like soap studs in a washing machine. Waves wild and out of control. 

"I'm good, thanks." I lied. I crossed my arms tightly, trying to warm my hands in my armpits. 

Alec walked in  the ankle deep water, feet sinking into the wet sand.  He looked so at peace and serene. I didn't want to disappoint him. He drove out over an hour to get me here and I was feeling guilty. I was obligated to enjoy the scenic view and effort he made. 

Obligated? 

I frowned at the thought. I was supposed to be enjoying this naturally, but all I could think was how my body was aching. My ankle that had been previously broken had a piercing pain caused by the cold. My bones grated against each other.  I couldn't take it anymore.