Chapter 12

"I'd never vote for her. She's only reached the top twenty because she makes quirky comments."  Annabelle complained.  We were watching a singing competition and waiting for a pizza delivery.  The kids were out back playing in the tree house. The Friday evening extended their curfew by an hour, which pushed back bath time by an hour. It was the weekend version of daylight savings.  

"I could have won this." Annabelle declared.  Bogart raised his eyebrows and snuck a glance to me. I refused to enter that conversation. Anna couldn't sing. Despite her best efforts and delusion, but telling her this lead to disagreements.  The doorbell rang. Bo grabbed his wallet to pay for the pizza, grateful not to have to confirm Anna's vocal discrepancies.

"Pizza is here." Anna called. 

I focused back on the show, trying to understand the concept. I couldn't follow and decided to listen to the music.  

"Uhh hey guys? What are you doing here?" Bo called out, his voice uncharacteristically strained. The unease set my guard up. Anna was already up on her feet, clearly annoyed. This was not the pizza. 

"Hello Bo! Where's Anna and the kids?" My mother gushed. She fluttered into the tv room, her long skirt and blowy top swishing as she entered. Her bangles cluttered loudly. Like bells signally the beginning of my tension headache. There was only one Dana Marshall.

 "Usually they are barrelling into me by now. I complain about their rowdiness but they haven't even come to great me."  Dana said, spinning around looking for them.  

My shoulders tense up. I was not emotionally prepared for her exuberance

"Mom. You didn't say you were coming by." Anna said, her voice firm. My mother never noticed. Bo stayed at the open door, tense and unmoving. 

"Since when do I need to announce my presence?" She asked offended.

"Hi mom." I said softly, my voice tense. I stood up, suddenly feeling very aware of what I was wearing. 

"Sweet pea, there you are." Dana said. She came over and hugged me tightly. The bones in my shoulders ached from her pressure. Even her hugs was too much.

"Honey why are you so thin? Isn't Anna feeding you?" She said, grimacing at my form.

"Bri's eating just fine mom. She looks great." Anna defended, lips pursed in annoyance.  Anna was always more mothering than my own mom. 

"I think she looks gaunt. Maybe you should go for a spray tan. It would perk up your appearance so much more if you had some color in your cheeks. You should come to the beauty place I go too. You could look so pretty. " My mother said, brushing stray hairs away from my face. 

I instantly felt awkward and deeply unsure of my own body. My shoulders sank. My mother didn't notice but Anna did.

"Brianna looks beautiful mother." Anna said more forcefully. 

"Of course she does, she could just feel more pretty." My mother said dramatically talking with her hands.  She sat down in the sofa, making herself comfortable. It meant she'd be staying. 

The relaxed evening transitioned sharply. I wanted to go to my room. 

"Anna can you make some coffee for us? Carson will be in soon. He just had to finish a call in the car." My mother declared casually. 

I whipped around to Anna and Bo.

"Bri, its going to be fine." Bo said, calmly. This wasn't fine. My fears were humanly embodied outside the door.

"Mom you really should have called first." Anna seethed. Annabelle smiled but it was forced and her brows were furrowed. Her tense form made me more anxious. Something was wrong.