Chapter 22

“You are so lucky.” Tyler shook his head, eyes focused on Dalton who was currently passed out in the basement. “How’d you even get him in here?”

                “The front door.” I frowned. “Why?”

                “Dave is going to kill you.”

                “Dave won’t find out.” I narrowed my eyes. “He was gone by the time I got here and Tara never comes down here.”

                “Kids?” Tara called down the stairs. I exchanged a look with Tyler and slowly poked my head around the corner, where Tara was standing at the landing, painting her mouth with a shiny coat of gloss.

                “Yea?”

                “Dave forgot his lunch so I have to drop it off before work. I’m going to head out. Ok?”

                “Yea, ok.”

                “I’ll order some Chinese for you kids around six. The usual?”

                “Yes please.” I nodded in confirmation.

                “Weren’t you wearing those clothes yesterday?” Tara frowned at me, scrutinizing my attire. I shrugged and Tyler leaned against the wall next to me.

                “She was helping me with my homework and fell asleep downstairs.” he muttered, eyes downcast to hide the bruise on his face from the night before.

                “What subject?” Suspicion laced her voice.

                “Math.” Tyler grumbled. “Kinda regret asking her.” he sighed. “But no one else was home.” Tara’s eyes flashed sympathetically. Punch straight for the weak spot, I think to myself. You devious little monster.

                “Maybe your teacher will give you a break.”

“Hopefully. I’m not feeling too well.” Tyler complained, placing a hand on his stomach to emphasize his point.” Check and mate.

“ Well…I got to go honey, but I’ll see you two when I get home. If you feel any worse let me know, ok?”

                “Ok.” we chorused.

                “Love you!” she called, door slamming shut behind her.

                “Well that was close.” Tyler slumped where he was standing.

                “Are you a compulsive liar?” I asked flatly, straight to the point, curious to how easily he conjured the “homework help” façade with no more than a dismissive flick of his hand.

                “No.” he shot back haughtily, crossing his arms defensively.

                “Yea, ok. Do you mind making some coffee? I have to find some clothes for pot breath over there.” I jacked my thumb in the direction of Dalton’s sleeping form, brow crinkling in annoyance.

                “Ok. But I’m eating breakfast first.”

                “Since when do you eat breakfast?”

                “Since I don’t want to make you coffee.”

                “Ouch.” Heading upstairs, I went into the hallway where most of the bedrooms were located. Stopping at the door next to mine, I rested my palm on the cold handle, leaning my forehead against the unoccupied room. He’s about the same height. The clothes should fit. The door hinges squeaked in protest as I entered, warning me against entering forbidden territory. No one had touched the room for nearly five years, all too afraid to disrupt the air my brother had occupied and left alone for far too many days. The bed was still a mess of tangled sheets and pillows resting on the wrong side of the bed. The posters on the wall were peeling and falling over, the tape no longer sticky. CD’s and old animes were scattered on his dresser, his laptop half opened on his desk where he had left it. Some old clothes were piled in the corner, home to who-knows-how-many spiders after being left alone to wrinkle and fade. Reaching into one of the drawers, I pulled out a pair of old gray skinnies, a plain black jockey shirt and socks, before I took out a purple hoodie from his closet, hoping Dalton wouldn’t mind the color. He couldn’t have any of the others. They were mine. They were my brothers. No one else could touch them. Carefully, I exited the room, gently closing the door behind me, light headed. I must’ve been holding my breath without realizing it. It hurt to be in his room. I knew he should be there, getting ready for school. Although, he’d be a senior in college by now, wouldn’t he?  So probably not here.