Chapter 12

“Can you play video games with me?”

                “No.”

                “Why not?”

                “I don’t want to.”

                “But I’m bored.”

                “That’s a you problem.”

                “But you’re the babysitter.”

                “I’m just here to make sure you don’t burn the house down.”

                “But-”

                “Don’t look at me like that.”

                “But… I love you Sam…”

                “Shut up Tyler.”

                “You know I was an only child before my mom married Dave… I never had anyone to play with when I was little…”

                “You have more friends than Florida has old people.”

                “Sam…”

                “Cut it out.”

                “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

                “The puppy eyes you baby. Stop it.”

                “Pretty please?”

                “No.”

                A half an hour later I sat in the basement, trying not to tear Tyler’s head off as he continuously decided my avatar was a much easier target than the CPU’s. Groaning, I set the remote on the couch, mentally giving up on ever beating the aggravating thirteen year old.

                “I quit.”

                “Sam you aren’t that bad.”

                “The score is twenty-five to zero.”

                “So?”

                “We’ve been playing for fifteen minutes.”

                Tyler’s mouth spread into an irritatingly wide smirk and he turned away for a moment, finger flicking to the trigger button.

                “Make that twenty-six.”

                “You’re an ass, you know that?”

                “That’s what daddy dearest tells me.” I stop for a moment, watching the plastic edge of Tyler’s grin sharpen.

                “So I take it last night’s phone call went swimmingly?”

                “Absolutely fantastic. He told me how proud he was of me for not failing the fifth grade this year and then wanted me to tell my whore mother that he’d rather do jail time than pay child support.” There was a twitch of his cheek as he bit down on his tongue. “When I told him that I had in fact passed the fifth grade nearly three years ago and that my new daddy made enough money to pay a year’s worth of child support in one week, he called me lots of things. I’m not sure what most of it was but I’m pretty sure ass was in there at least once.”