『Chapter Six』

As I began to search for some jobs around the Ikebukuro area, the months staying at Shizuo's apartment seemed to fly by. I was specifically waiting for a job opportunity at Raira Academy as an art teacher since the teacher that is there currently was going to retire after that school year. There were other jobs that I could have applied for as well, but I would not have enjoyed it. Living with Shizuo was easier than I thought. He didn't really cause that big of a mess in the kitchen, he just never cleans it up so crap just kept on piling up.

So of course, I am the one usually cleaning up the mess. I think that's the main reason he kept me in the apartment. He told me more about this Izaya Orihara he kept on being pissed about. He described him to me so that way if I ran into him, I can run away before I got in trouble. He also told me the dangers of gangs in Ikebukuro. The Yellow Scarves were the ones I really needed to watch out for, he had said.

It was around March when I got an e-mail saying that the art teacher decided to retire early and that I was gladly accepted as the new art teacher. "Can you believe it?" I said, happier than ever. "I can finally work now!" Shizuo smiled his usual cool smile. "Working isn't as fun as you think. You'll probably be complaining by the second day." I looked away, ignoring his comment. "I get to start next Monday." "Good." Shizuo said. "You can get out of my house and live somewhere else." I wasn't exactly sure if he meant it since his voice was naturally sarcastic. It still stabbed me right in the heart. I loved him, but I was having the feeling he wasn't enjoying me too much. "Sorry." "You know that was a joke, right? I mean, I would like you to stay here. Since you clean the house and all." Shizuo said.

I felt my face get warm. I haven't had that feeling in weeks since Shizuo was out with Tom working all the time. I wanted to tell Shizuo I would have wanted to stay there, but I decided not to. Next Monday came like a snap. I noticed it was around March, almost a few days before the end of the school year. I wondered why the art teacher decided to retire early even when there were only a few weeks left, but I left that thought aside. As I was leaving the house, Shizuo stopped me. "Good luck." Shizuo said. "Those high school kids will drive you crazy. And... you look too nice. You don't need to dress up just 'cause it's the first day of work, you know." I think I saw a tint of pink on his cheeks, but I could have been imagining things.

The temperature suddenly felt like 40 degrees Celsius. I didn't really call a nice blouse and curled hair "dressed up", but I saw his point. "Well." I said, "I'm glad you think I look nice." I smiled and waved him goodbye. He waved goodbye and smiled back. But it wasn't his usual cool smile. It was a kind, soft smile, giving him peaceful features. As I turned my back on him, I was guessing I was red to the roots of my hair.

I rode my bicycle to Raira Academy, even though it was practically on the other side of the city. I put my bag in the front basket, totally used to the city air running through my hair. I loved how you didn't have to wear helmets in Japan without the police yelling at your face. I got to Raira in about 30 minutes, still a little early before school started. I tried to imagine Shizuo as a high schooler, walking through the gates of Raira with his uniform. He told me he had gone there, and that's where he met Izaya and Kyouhei. I wondered if there were more crazy people like them here, but I set that idea aside.

I opened my classroom with the keys I had got from the principal's office. I peered into the classroom before I stepped in. The classroom looked ordinary, only instead of desks were stools and easels. The desk in the corner of the room was clean, except for a computer and a monitor. The chalkboard on the wall was clean also, so I decided to write my name.

When everyone was settled down after three minutes after the bell rang, I noticed how strangely they looked at me. Was it because I was young? Was it because I looked too "nice"? I coughed. "Well, I'm Ms. (Y/N). I'm your new art teacher." "You're an art teacher? I thought you were my new girlfriend," a boy in the back called, making the class giggle. I gave him a sarcastic smile. The boy was about 15 or 16, his straight hair dirty blonde. "Well, Mr. Clown, I'm sorry but I already have someone else in mind. Thank God he's not as annoying as you." The class giggled at my comment. "Anyway, I'm going to do a roll call, and can you introduce me to yourself while you're at it? I want to learn what kind of students are in my classroom."