1 - Met Like This

*January 21*

Jack rushed down the street, practically jogging in hopes that he could somehow manage to get to class on time. Mr. Marks was bound to be steaming from the ears if he was late once again.

Silently cursing the world, he hurried on. If only he'd woken up twenty minutes earlier. If only he hadn't gotten in that fucking accident that left his car useless in the shop. If only...

He rammed into another man, barely sparing him a glance as he continued on his way, calling over his shoulder, "Sorry dude!"

Alex shouted back, "No problem, asshole," grumbling as he gathered up his bag from the pavement and watching the receding dark-haired figure. As he reached towards the ground to push himself onto his feet, he noticed a glint of silver. 

Grabbing the object, the man found a necklace cupped in his palm. The clasp was broken, and there was what appeared to be a distorted half-heart pendant hanging off the leather string. Alex could see where another half would connect.

Wondering how the piece of jewelry had been abandoned, he got to his feet and continued his walk to Catalyst, the popular night club he had been working at for the past two years. Although it was only four, he had to get there early and set up today.

The brunette decided to keep the necklace, figuring that it was better off with him than left on the street. Tucking it into the pocket of his form-fitting jeans, he dismissed the recent events from his mind.

<+> 

It wasn't until Jack got home at eight o'clock that night and went to take a shower that he realized one of his necklaces was missing. One of the leather strips was still securely fastened around his neck, but its matching half was gone. The clasp must have broken sometime during the day.

Fingering the remaining half of the heart he wore, he sunk to the ground and dropped his head into his hands. The half of the set he had left had belonged to his father.

The one that belonged to his mother, dead for twenty-three years, was gone.

<>+<>+<>+<>+<>

First chapter, new story, I'm excited. I apologize for the ridiculous shortness, they'll be longer after this. Please comment? I love seeing what people have to say. And vote.

xoxo

Rose