Chapter 6: It Never Rains, But It Pours

I wake to dim morning light, the garden in darker shadow than when I had closed my eyes. It must have still been early evening when I dropped off to sleep. Sitting up is an unpleasant experience; the combination of being plowed down by the Swath and sleeping on a stone bench has me groaning with every movement. Once I'm upright I look around for Jareth. I see him sitting on the ground on the other side of the garden leaning against the wall right next to the tunnel. Several of the garden chairs are stacked in front of the entrance, forming a lopsided barrier. With a jolt of fear I rush over to where he is. But on closer inspection, I realize he is unharmed. He's just asleep, somehow looking regal even in repose. I have trouble taking my eyes off his face. His features are smooth, and his skin is flawless. He looks young and unpretentious, lounging in the grass, legs crossed at the ankles. Even in his
Victorian era clothes (the urban adventurer look had disappeared along with England) he looks... attractive.

Oh, come on Sarah! Five minutes of contemplating a date with Thomas and you couldn't stomach the idea! Now you are getting starry-eyed over the Goblin King's pretty face? What do you even know about him? Still taking in his slow breathing and relaxed posture I consider my own question. I know that this time he is being more honest about the Underground. I know that his behavior is very different from the first time I was here. I know that he's trusting me with something that's very important to him...
and I know that he once offered me something no one else ever has... he offered me my dreams.

I can feel the logical part of my brain crossing her arms and turning up her nose in disgust at the sentiment. Sighing, I drag my attention away from Jareth and head to the bathroom. The waterfall "shower" is cooler than I would have preferred, but it does seem to ease the aftermath of yesterday's exploits. I'm grateful, the fight with the Swath left my back black and blue. Much to my dismay, I have to wriggle back into my clothes from the previous day. Jareth is still asleep against the wall when I get back to the garden. I turn my attention from him to the stack of chairs in front of the tunnel. It's a crude barrier, easily escapable.

"It wouldn't stop the Swaths, but the sound of falling chairs would have alerted us to their presence." Says a tired voice behind me.

"It was a good idea." I concede, glancing back at him.

His eyes are red and he looks even more tired than last night.

"Did... did you stand guard all night?"

He gives me a surprisingly disarming smile. "Well, not all night."

I offer him a hand and help him up off the ground. The movement makes my bruised back hurt, and I hope that he doesn't notice my discomfort.

"We should eat quickly and get on our way." He says, gesturing to the edge of the garden.

I realize there are a few fruit trees and what look like berry bushes along one side. After an assurance that everything is edible Jareth lets me choose breakfast while he cleans up and fetches us some water.

"I don't suppose there's a Costa in this labyrinth?"

Jareth just gives me a look.

"I'll settle for a Starbucks, even though their pastries are terrible."

I guess I'll have to content myself with hot water a caffeine pill.

"Ok, I can accept that that there aren't any chains, but you do have coffee here, right?"

Jareth snickers over my distress.

"Help me solve this labyrinth, and I will make you a latte myself."