Chapter 20: Rival (Part I)

Blair’s POV

My head felt terribly heavy. I winced in pain as I slowly opened my eyes.

What happened?

For a moment, I just laid still, trying to recall what had happened to me. Then, I remember the woods and the werewolves. We were attacked by a group of werewolves!

My heart raced in my chest.

Matt! Where’s my mate?! Is he safe?!

I forced open my eyes only to be greeted by the blinding light coming from the window beside my bed.

Where am I?! I have to see my mate!

“Matt!” I called to him but a howl escaped my mouth instead.

I can sense movements around me. Somebody’s holding me by the neck!

Oh my God! What are they doing to me!?

Panic started to sink into me. I tried to move but then my body felt numb. I felt so weak, like my energy has been drained.

“She’s waking up.”

I tried to calm myself upon hearing a woman’s voice. Her voice sounded familiar.

Kate?

With my eyes half-opened, I managed to glance at Kate’s worried face, though her image seems to be in blur.

 “It’s okay, Gardien. Everything’s going to be alright.”

What is she doing to me?

“There. Your wounds are all stitched-up. I’m sorry if you feel weak right now. It’s just the side effect of the anesthesia we injected to you awhile ago. Don’t worry; it’ll fade in no time.”

The image of Kate looking down at me slowly started to become clearer, as well as everything else around me. I see that I’m on her clinic.

She gently brushed my head with her hand and I relaxed little.

During the attack, I really thought that would be the end of us. Though I trust Matt’s strength and ability, we were outnumbered by the enemy wolves. I recognized some of them and knew they were from my former pack, probably sent by Alpha Kris to track me down.

Kyle and Lexia suddenly crossed my mind. Are they still alive?

The sound of the door opening made me turn my gaze.

Matt!

He’s walking towards my direction. His face is grim and tensed. I noticed that his wounds are already starting to heal.

I wanted to run to him but I can’t even turn my head to face him fully. The effect of the anesthesia has not faded yet.

Oh Matt… I was worried sick about you!

“How is she?” he asked Kate.

Kate turned to face him. “She’s okay now, Alpha. I’m just waiting for the effects of the anesthesia to fade before I release her.”

Matt let out a breath. He suddenly looked relieved. “Thank you, Kate.”

Kate smiled at him knowingly. “You’re welcome, Alpha.”

She then turned away from my bed and started fixing her surgical instruments.

Matt stepped closer to my bed. He looked down at me.

“You shouldn’t have done that, Gardien. You could’ve been killed.”

I’d rather be killed than lose you, Matt.