Chapter 15: Dog

I walked numbly deeper into the woods. Lexia was walking close behind me. 

It took me a while to really absorb the fact that my father was already dead. 

How ironic that all my life I thought he didn't love me, never even cared for me because I was the cause of his mate's death, yet on this day, he sacrificed himself to save me.

Regrets. They came rushing to me as I gave one last look at my father before I left him there, lying on the tree to become one with this Earth again, probably after several months. 

Bang! Bang! Bang!

I slowed into a halt as the sound of continuous gunfires reached my ears. Lexia did the same. I saw her body instantly trembled in fear. Tears started to well up in her eyes as she looked back to where we came.

It must've been very hard for her to turn her back to the one pack which she lived with, and served for all her life. Well, it wasn't easy for me, nor for Kyle, I know exactly how she felt.

For  a moment, we just stood at the middle of the woods, looking back to Silver Moon's territory.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Both of us jerked as, again, the sound of gunfires filled the deadly silence of the night. 

 "I-I must go back.", said Lexia, who was holding her mouth with her trembling hands. 

I walked close to her, and rubbed my head on her leg, hoping to calm her down a little. 

She kneeled, and brushed my head with her trembling hands. "Y-You go to your mate, Blair... I-I must go back to Kyle. W-We'll see you there."

I looked up at her. A  yowl escaped my mouth. No... Kyle wanted you safe! You can't go back!  I wanted to tell her.

Lexia stood. She motioned me to go. 

"Go. Go!"

I did not move. I know Kyle wouldn't want her to go back for him. She wanted her safe.

Lexia turned, and started to make her way back to Silver Moon's territory. I just stared at her back.

How am I supposed to presuade her not to go!?

Whe she noticed I wasn't moving, she turned to look at me. "Balir! Go!", she shouted.

I ignored her. Instead, I walked around in circles, letting low howls escape my mouth.

"No! You're coming with me! Kyle wouldn't want this! Let's go!" I wanted to tell her.

Her eyebrows moved into a furrow. "What are you doing? I said 'go!'"

I wanted to roll my eyes at her. Not being able to talk sucks! 

When I didn't stop walking around in circles, she decided to walk back toward me. When she got close, she held me at the back of my neck and on my back, and motioned me towards the other side of the woods.

"Don't be stubborn now, Blair. Go. Go back to your mate!"

"Me? Stubborn!? It's you who's being stubborn here!" A low growl escaped my mouth. 

Lexia let out a breath. She kneeled to face me, and looked directly in my eyes.  "Come on, Blair. Just go. Don't worry about me! I-I'll be fine. You go now!"

Determination was clear in her eyes as I looked at them. I sighed in defeat, looks like nothing could change her mind. 

A low yowl escaped my mouth as I stepped my forepaw, slowly starting to make my way towards Blood Moon's teriitory. 

Lexia stood up, and before she turned her back, she shouted, "See you in Blood Moon, Blair!"

After a few hours, I finally reached the other side of the woods, then the town. 

Now, what!? 

People just passed by me like they would on any other stray dog in the street. I started to walk, no particular destination in mind.

How am I supposed to talk to Matt when I see him!? How can I explain everything to him!?

I ponder over these questions as I passed by coffee shops, fashion boutiques, stores... and then, Debby's Motel. I stood in front of the entrance to the motel.

And, as if on cue, Debby walked out from the door. Her eyes grew wide upon seeing me. 

Did she recognized me!? How!?

"Ooooohh!!!", she shrieked. "What a cuuuuute Siberian Husky!" She kneeled down, and brushed my fur with her hands.

SIBERIAN HUSKY!?!?! I so wanted to roll my eyes at her!

And, as if mistaking me for a wolf-like hybrid dog wasn't enough, she started asking me questions in her  disturbingly child-like voice. "Where's your master, little one?" She turned her head from side to side to look for my 'master'. "Ohhh, poor you... did you lost your way here?" She lifted my head to see around my neck. "Where's your ID tag, ha? You lost it? Ohhh... poor little puppy."

PUPPY!? Really?

I started barking at her. "Could you just take me to Matt, Debby!? And, I will forget you ever mistaking me for a Siberian Huskey, and called me a 'puppy'!"

She didn't seem to understand because she just brushed my head with her hands. "Oh. Right! You must be hungry!" She stood up. "Come on, dear!" She motioned me inside the motel. I didn't move.

Oh! Just take me to Matt!

She turned to me. "You don't want food, sweetie?"

Food? My stomach growled. After all that's happened today, I forgot I haven't eaten yet. Damn. I'm starving!

Oh. Alright... Matt can wait! I followed her inside the motel, all the way to the kitchen.

I sat on the floor. Tongue dangling on my mouth. 

I saw Debby opened a box of PEDIGREE, and poured it on a bowl.

Debby put the bowl in front of me. "Go on, eat it, sweetie. It's yummy!" She eyed me expectantly.

A whimper escaped my mouth. She's feeding me with dog food!

Debby frowned. She grabbed the bowl, and smelled it. "It's alright. Guess, you don't like the flavor of this one..." She quickly stood up, and searched through her cupboard.

Oh please! Now, I really wanted to roll my eyes at her!

Just then, a faint smell of raw meat filled my nose. I followed its scent, and I ended up on the other side of the kitchen countertop. I barked at it.

Debby noticed what I was doing. She moved around to the kitchen countertop where a plate of raw meat laid.

Again, she frowned before looking down on me. "You want this?"

I barked once.

Her frown grew deeper. "But-"

I continued barking at her. Just give me the damn meat!

Her lips broke into a smile. She grabbed the plate off the countertop. "Oh, alright, honey... let me just cook this fir-"

I didn't let her finish, and lunged myself directly at her, the plate fell on the floor with the raw meat. I quickly gnawed at it.

Man! It's like I haven't eaten in years!

When I finished eating the whole plate, I looked up at Debby. She just stood in front of me, watching me with wide eyes.

It took her a few minutes before blinking her eyes, and then she asked, "Y-You're not a Siberian Huskey... are you?"

She quickly grabbed the phone just on top of the kitchen counter while I licked the remaining residue of meat on the plate.

"Hello. Matt! It's me Deb. There's a wolf in my motel!"

I looked up at her, and sighed. Finally!