Chapter 21: The Next Day

Emily

The next morning I felt the warm sun on my face. I rolled over and stretched, willing my arms to wake up. I stifled a yawn with my fist and opened my eyes. Noah sat on his side of the bed under the covers, watching me. His face was soft and broke into a huge smile when I lifted myself up on my elbows.

"Someone woke up in a good mood." I said while throwing the covers back so I could go pee. Strong arms grasped me around my waist and tugged me back into the bed. I groaned and fell backwards onto the bed. He started kissing my neck and jaw line moving up to my ear, biting on my lobe. I gasped and moaned slightly, leaning deeper into him.

"Noah, what's going on?" I shivered as he kissed the other side of my neck. He smiled against my neck and pulled away.

"You said you love me." His smile grew by the minute.

Oh shit.

Those hospital drugs must be intense.

But I can't tell him that I don't remember telling him that..

I tried to contain the shock on my face by smiling, but Noah caught onto it. His smile fell until his lips were in a thin line. He looked at the far wall and moved away from me, leaving me feeling cold without him.

"You didn't mean to say it did you?" His voice was barely above a whisper. He got up , walking to the bathroom. I stood and start after him.

"Noa-" The door slammed in my face.

Ouch.

That hurts

The physical pain from the claw marks on my stomach is nothing compared to the hurt in my heart. I continued to the door and knocked softly.

"Noah?" I got no reply.

I turned the knob on the door and it clicked open. I walked in slowly to see Noah in the glass shower with his head resting against the wall. His left arm positioned up above his head. The water glided off his back from the rain showerhead in droplets. I count them as I stared at him. His butt was firm and I felt the redness creep onto my face.

My bare feet moved across the cold tiled floor without my constent, taking me closer to him. I reached the edge of the shower and placed my hand on the door handle. The steam from the showering started to make the room foggy. I tugged on the door handle and it popped open with a thud.

Noah doesn't even look away from the wall.

"Go away Emily." the tone of his voice was raspy and broke my heart even more.

Why won't he let me explain?! I screamed mentally.

Jessie's voice was very sad and weak. I could tell she hasn't fully recovered from the beating we took.

Please talk to him. We need them. She pleaded with me.

No quite understanding how this morning ended up so badly, I moved underneath the pouring water as it wet my pajamas and hair. It matted to my head and stuck to my face. My shirt molded to me like a second skin. I reached for his arm, grabbing it into my own and pulled him away from the wall. He resisted at first, his strong muscles bulging in his arm.  I tugged harder and made him look at me. His head turned and I gasped in shock.

Noah's eyes were full of tears and they slid one by one down his cheeks. He stood there, looking defeated and empty. I took his scars and they burned so I knew he was in pain.

"Why do you hate me?" The small sound came out of the big man in front of me. The blueness of his eyes dull, less with life.

"Oh Noah, I don't hate you." I put my wet hand against his cheek softly. He leaned into it and closed his eyes in pain.