Chapter 20: Weeks

Noah

*Three Weeks Later*

After I had carried Emily out of the cave, the pack came. We brought her back to the hospital and Dr. Smith took her into surgery. I had been sitting by her bedside looking at her small form in the arm cast since then. The arm had fully healed, the cast was a precaution while she was out. She was supposed to wake up yesterday, but she didn't

What if she never does?

Noah, stop thinking like that. My mother's voice filled my head. Everyone was in the waiting room, waiting. Her mother and Toby were still here. They came by every day. I couldn't shake something out of my head.

If Emily is a werewolf, someone else in that family has to be.

Who?

I shifted forward and kissed her chapped lips before turning to walk out to the waiting area. Her mother had bags under her eyes and her nose was rose red. She blew into a tissue and looked up at me, startled to see me standing there.

"Oh Noah! Honey you scared me." She shifted uncomfortable in her seat. I sat down next to her, careful not to wake a sleeping Toby in the seat across the way. I questioned how I should approach the topic. It was not something you talked about with humans.

"This is going to be strange but I need you to have an open mind." I asked slowly. Her lips pulled together into a thin line and she huffed out a breath.

"It's me. Or it was me." She spoke quietly, to not wake her son. I gave her a quizzical look and stared still confused. She didn't smell like a wolf.

"How?" My question seemed like it irritated her. She pulled out a tissue again to dab her nose and looked at her hands.

"I met my mate when I was 15. He was six years older than me, but I loved him with a love so fierce I could've painted the sky. He didn't feel like same. I was too young and he wasn't interested at the time. I got married to Jake and we had a great marriage. I love him. We had Bonnie and one day when I was jogging with her in the park. I smelled him. My mate.. I followed it to a park bench. He was sitting there eating a bagel, reading the morning newspaper. He jerked his head up to me and gave me a confused look before taking me into his arms and kissing me. We started seeing each other, I couldn't stay away. What was I supposed to do? My soul was connected to his. Jake and I had a falling out and we separated for a little bit. When we were separated, I completed the mating ritual with Oliver. We got pregnant with twins and we were so happy." Her voice breaks slightly.

"He was killed by a rogue clan. I formally rejected him and went back to Jake, seven months pregnant. He welcomed me back and we never spoke of it again. We had Megan shortly after Emily and Toby were born. I haven't changed in years. I don't hear my wolf anymore. I assumed our lives could finally go back to normal but then I could tell Emily was hearing something that wasn't there. I prayed for the Goddess to have her mate reject her because I assumed rejection makes your wolf disappear." I sneered at her and anger built up in me at her accusation.

"I would never reject her." My voice boomed. "There is nothing to suggest rejecting your mate would cause your wolf to leave. In fact, this is the first time I have heard of that."

She grabbed my arm and put a finger to her lips pleading with me to be quiet. I shook her off and glared at her. She started speaking again, a little more unsure of herself.

"Emily is like her father. Her real father. Oliver Brady of the Timberwolf Pack. I am not sure about Toby.. I think he is fighting the change in him."

I blinked at her, surprised at my words. "When he does, tell him he can stay with the Mchowell Pack."

She nodded quickly, and I got up to go back to Emily. Before reaching her door, I paused hearing someone talking behind the door. I jerked the door open and Emily jumped up in the bed.

"Emily!" I yelled, rushing to her side. I smashed kisses into her face and neck. She giggled and pushed me back. Her arm was removed from the cast and she started to get out of bed.

"Woah Woah. Where do you think you're going?" I asked her, catching her before she falls. Her legs not having enough strength to hold her weight. She sighed and leaned into me. I smelt her hair and kissed her forehead.

"Can we go home?" The tiredness in her small voice was very adamant. I picked her up bridal style and carried her out of the hospital, gown and all. We walked through the small village, people stopped to bow as we pass. We finally reached the large brick and wood home. I took the stairs lightly going to our bedroom. I sat her on the bed and curled her under the covers, she pushed against me for a moment.

"Will you help me into something a little less hospital?" I chuckled at her words and go to the dresser pulling out a pair of shorts and my t-shirt. She lifted her arms up, showing her naked chest. I tried to not look as I placed the shirt over her head pulling it down around her upper half. I coughed slightly as she stands, with no underwear. I pulled the shorts up her legs slowly, pausing to place a kiss at her hip bone. I looked up to meet her gaze and she smiled down at me. I couldn't help but let my eyes stop at the back scars on her stomach and side.

She has those because of me..

She'll have the darkness too. I frowned and felt my hair being brushed around by delicate fingertips.

"It's not your fault." The angelic ring of a voice brought me back to reality and out of my deep dark thoughts.

I tucked her into bed, climbing in beside her snuggling her back. I wrapped my arm around her waist, careful to not hurt her. I kissed her mark and she moaned in content. I felt the lack of sleep from three weeks hitting me and I started to fade into a lull snore zone. I felt her grip on me tighten before hearing her soft lips whispering.

"And I love you too, Noah."

I inhaled a sharp gasp, feeling the intense amount of her love fill my soul. My smile deepened as I snuggled her closer and let myself fall into a blissful slumber.