STIL22: The heartaches you don't see

AN: Here's one for you!

BG Song:  Satie - Gymnopédie No. 1

Vida sighed long and slow as her eyes fluttered open.

Sinubukan niya ulit na ipikit ang mga mata pero muhkang wala nang balak ang antok na dalawin siya.

She opened them again and granted herself a few more seconds staring at nothing before getting up.

Mula sa bintana lagpas sa kanyang kulay putting kurtina nakita niya na madilim pa sa paligid at wala pa siyang naririnig na anumang galaw mula sa munting silid niya na iyon. Lagi na lang ganoon. Nilingon niya ang  alarm clock niyang hindi niya masyadong nagagamit dahil nauuna siya lagi na nagigising kaysa sa naka-set na alas-singko na alarm noon.

VIda tried to muster all her strength to sit on her bed as she reached for her lamp on the bedside table to turn off her alarm, her eyes squinted to adjust just as she roamed it around the familiar small neat room. Dumako ang mata niya sa diary niya nasa tabi ng alarm niya, inabot iyon at simpleng pinasadahan iyon ng basa.

Everyday she was required to read it since she could remember. Each page contained a detailed log of everything that she was. It was something that her doctor required her to read. Parang training daw iyon sa utak niya para maalala lahat kung sakaling mag-reset siya ulit. Napatigil sa pagbabasa si Vida ng marating ang dulo ng diary. Everyday she lingered more on that page... The ending of the Diary was always that of the story of the mermaid that lived happily ever after.

Sighing in dismissal Vida reached for her toiletries under the bed, reached for the towel that hanged nearby and headed straight to bath. Importante kasi ang araw na iyon kaya kailangan niyang maging maaga din.

Paglabas ni Vida sa kwarto niya madami nang nasal abas ng corridor. Volunteers and workers together with the occupants getting for the big day. Foundation day kasi ng Neurodegenerative Rehabilitation Center kung saan siya tumutuloy ngayon. Unlike other patients she was treated here like a staff and at the same time as a patient for almost a year now. 

"Ang aga mo naman Vida."

Tumigil saglit sa paglalakad si Vida para makasabay sa kanya na maglakad na si Sister Claire. Isa sa mga volunteers ng institution na iyon.

"Goodmorning sister. Mas maaga po kayo." She gave her a small smile in exchange for the big one that the nun offered.

"Are your parents are coming?"

Sa paraan ng pagkakatitig sa kanya ng madre pagkasabi noon ay parang sinusukat nito kung rumirehistro sa kanya ang mga sinasabi nito. 

"Yes, my parents." Her words faded out slowly into a yet another small smile. The nun tapped her back a little before going ahead of her.

"The program starts at 8. Dapat sabihan mo na ang kaibigan mo na agahan para makapili kayo ng magandang upuan."

"Opo sister."

And by friend what the nun mentioned were her co-patient who was almost twice her age, even older than her mother. Turning around the corner she headed straight to her friends quarters.

Kahit hindi pa siya nakapasok sa loob naririnig na niya sila.

"Asaan na ba yung salamin ko?"

Vida gazed at the old woman before her. She stood tall and slim, her short grey hair neat, her gait wobbly and unsteady from old bones and feeble limbs, as she tried to search around the room for her glasses that went missing. The lines on her face gave away her current state of emotion. She was clearly irritated. Stubborn and headstrong, tongue so sharp you could nearly be sliced in half.