TWO: THE SAFE HOUSE

〰️

〰️

Holt went over the rules as he drove them to the safe house. ". . . And no going out of the house. Jake, I am sure you have learned your lesson from last time."

"Yes, sir."

"What happened last time?" Vincent asked.

"My husband was being targeted by Seamus Murphy, you know him, correct?"

"Yeah. I saw him in the news," Vincent replied, nodding. He put his hand up before Holt could continue. "Hold on. Let me guess. This guy," he pointed his thumb at Jake who was in the backseat, "wanted to get himself and your husband out of the safe house, so they went somewhere, and you found out and followed them, then you were in danger so Detective Peralta tried to save you and ended up being caught too. It was your husband that saved the day."

"Yes," Holt said finally. "Yes, that is exactly what happened."

"Well, you don't have to worry about me wanting to get out because I brought a bunch of books and movies and other stuff to keep me entertained."

"Really?" Jake piped in. "I brought a couple of movies too! You watch Die Hard?"

"Uh, duh," Vincent said, stressing out the last word.

"Yes! Thank God."

"You watch Supernatural?"

"No. What the heck even is that?"

Vincent gasped dramatically, as if greatly offended. "You— I—what—"

"Alright. You two take this conversation inside," Holt interrupted before Vincent could explode.

Still looking like Jake mortally wounded him, Vincent stumbled out of the car, clutching his possessions and looking up at the house in front of them.

"I thought it would be bigger," he commented.

"'I thought it would be bigger', title of your sex tape," Jake said. "While it doesn't look very promising, I still have hope that the inside would be better."

"'I still have hope that the inside would be better', title of your sex tape," Vincent retorted.

Jake let out a laugh. "Touché, sister," he said.

Oddly, something about him, in that moment, made Vincent feel attracted to him. Half horrified and half unsurprised of this, he shook it off and took in the house to distract his mind. It was a very small house with tiny windows and only one floor.

The size didn't really bother Vincent  it was just that the paint on the walls were starting to fall off, and there were webbed cracks all over it, along with an unkempt front yard. The windows were barred with wood, which Vincent guessed was probably to keep the light out.