Chapter 6- "No extreme emotional fluctuations?"

“The wound’s clean Erica and there is no way you’ve drank enough today to warrant two pee stops. Stop stalling.” She said as Erica fussed over Cassandra’s cut then excused herself for the second time to use the bathroom.

When Erica emerged from the bathroom again Cassandra perched herself on top of the red vintage bar stool against the kitchen bench and slapped her hand against the one beside her. Beckoning Erica to join her, she sheepishly complied. Cassandra had grabbed the pack of Tim Tams from her fridge and was contently devouring one when Erica finally began.

“I’m not sure where to start Cass… There is so much that you don’t know and so much you need to know. I am so not the right person for this job!” She said in a rush.

Around a mouthful of Tim Tam Cassandra offered “How about you start by just answering my questions?” Cassandra knew all too well that it wouldn’t take much to get Erica talking, keeping her on the right track however is what could prove to be difficult.

Erica’s face lit up. “Sure! That’d be fine. I’ll answer anything you want to know as best I can, but you gotta understand that some of this stuff is second hand information thought. The old witches passed some of this information onto me from other witches and I don’t even understand it all myself. So I can only tell you what I know.”

“Well that’s fair enough. Hmmm… Ok so I guess firstly, What made you come for me when I was in Numeric? Like how did you know what I was? How did you find me?”

“Oh that’s easy. They told me too.”

“Who Erica?” Cassandra pressed.

“Oh haha, sorry. The witches, the old ones. From the past. The ones I can talk too. They came to me in a dream when I was little. Like maybe 3 I think? I know I shouldn’t remember back that far, but it was a pretty life changing day. My grams was so proud that I’d been contacted. That’s how you know you’re a link witch by the way. They choose you. The old ones. You can have a perfect pure bloodline dating back to the first witches and still not get chosen. Some say its random, but others think that only few of us possess the right qualities. I like to think it’s the later, but I’m a little biased.” She giggled.

“That’s all great to know Erica and I’d love to learn more but right now I need to know about my own past, not yours.” Cassandra said patiently.

“Oh! Of course!” She blushed. “Sorry, I got a little side-tracked. It’s been so long since I could talk to some real, you-know? Not someone dea…”

“Erica!”

“Ha, right. Sorry! Ok so, they contacted me and told me that a baby had been born. You. They told me that you’d need help. That you were an old soul who would need guidance. They said you’d been touched by a Goddess and she sought to use you for evil.”

“Touched by a Godde… Wait so you’ve known about me since I was born?” Cassandra said shocked at the revelation.

“Yes. If you’re wondering why I didn’t come for you sooner just wait, I’ll explain. Remember how I said my Grams was proud? Yeah, well she was. But my Mum? Not so much. She wasn’t ‘chosen’ you see, so as she grew she began to think that the whole ‘witch’ thing was just a story. So when I came to her with stories of talking to dead witches she didn’t believe me. I think on some level she was jealous. But anyway, she refused to let me make contact with you. I begged to stay with Grams because we lived right next door to where you would soon live…”

“Your Grams was Mrs. Thompson?”

“Yepo, that was my gran-ma-ma!” Erica smiled fondly. “So anyway, Mum took me away and I couldn’t be there for you as the witches had asked. My grams? She wrote me, she told me how you were and such, but when she fell ill she couldn’t watch over you anymore. When she died? I lost track of you completely, the witches know things. But not everything. Not even they could find you, what with the drugs supressing your powers and all. Back to the point when I was finally free of my mother oppressive rein I tried to find you. But you were gone. Your mother way there, in your old house, but she wouldn’t tell me a thing. She acted as if she had no daughter. I was disgusted that she would pretend you never existed. What kind of mother would do that?” Erica finished, getting quieter and quieter until her last words were but a whisper. As she registered how the news might effect Cassandra.