Chapter Twenty-Two: 'Asshole' spray painted in pink

It was a very miserable train ride home, Samuel and I sat on the subway, waiting for our stop to come up to take us both to the bar. I didn't receive time to change after that long period of time of reporting the crime to the police and getting his car towed to his mechanic. The cart we were in was slightly empty, only two couples and an elderly homeless man occupied these seats; only the incoherent mumbling of the train operator and the loud screeching of the train coming to a halt on every stop filled the air.

I looked over to Samuel, his mood completely shifted from being goofy and happy to bring pissed off and wanting to kill whoever is responsible. We both knew who was responsible, there's no doubt Diana got a whiff of where we were going to be and managed to find Samuel's car around the block. Not that I'm saying it would only be her and not just a pissed off ex-lover he didn't call back after that awesome night of fucking.

Reaching for his hand to comfort him, I tried to ease the mood with my touch and voice. "First two rounds are on me." I voiced with a soft chuckle. However, Samuel wasn't exactly in the laughing mood just yet. "Too soon?"

He sighed heavily while removing his hand from my grasp, "I'm just going to go back to my apartment, you can come over if you want or not- I just need to be alone right now."

In which I understand, a man's car is oddly like his heart- if you fuck up his car, you fuck up his heart. "Okay, I'll let you know."

The train stopped at our stop that would take me straight to the bar and give Samuel a little time to walk around. Leading the way, I walked up the steps to the outside work, immediately turning to him when on the sidewalk. "Call me if you need anything, okay?"

"Yeah," He leaned down to kiss the corner of my mouth before walking off. I watched as he disappeared around the corner across the street, thinking rather I should follow behind or just go to work. I decided to do the second option, mainly because he asked for alone time and I'm going to respect that.

I walked into the bar to see it wasn't as crowded, making me not feel as guilty in coming late. Gretchen and Paul was behind the bar like usual, serving drinks at a timely fashion and making tips with innocent flirting and small talk. I clocked in after putting my stuff away, immediately releasing my hair from the tight ponytail, along with my sweater.

"You look fancy," Gretchen stated while walking by with a new case of gin and tequila to stock.

"Thanks, just came from Samuel's brother birthday dinner."

"That's why you came in late?" Paul grumbled, obviously not pleased with my excuse of not being here on time.

"You don't understand Paul," Gretchen came to the rescue, like always. "She was meeting her boyfriend's family, that's a huge step in a relationship."

Paul simply rolled his eyes to take himself out of the conversation. I had her a whispered 'thank you' and grateful smile before fulfilling my duties. The shift ended a little early than I expected, being that there were only two people left that was nurturing their drinks- Paul let us go around two, forty minutes before we could actually clock out.

"You know, around this time New York isn't bad." Gretchen said while looking up at the plain navy blue sky. "It's quiet, no one is out, you can just walk around without being bothered."

I nod my head in agreement, "Still gotta be careful though." I added.

"Oh yeah, for sure. That's why Mama packing some heavy military grade pepper spray that can burn someone's eyes out." She patted the side of her satchel.

"I got a Swiss Army knife."

"Oh, cute and deadly."

I chuckled while slowing down my pace into a halt, she followed suit. "I'll see you tomorrow night. This time I'll be there on time."