44: Persephonie

Persephonie is working on a piece of embroidery. Lillian and Miles are twins, and Cedric's siblings.

It had snowed heavily last night, so I was stuck in the castle for at least the next two weeks. At least it would give me time to finish my needlework. I was almost done with it. The pomegranate had been finished a while ago. I had finished the goddess' hands, which were holding the pomegranate, and I had stitched the forearms. Using a knife, I cut the tan thread and tied a knot at the end, and looked through my dresser for some grayish white thread, to start on Persephone's dress.

I found the spool, and after threading the needle, I sat on the chair near the fireplace, and pulled the thread through my white background. I tied a knot on the back of my needlework to secure the thread in place. The makeshift thimble Megan had made for me was placed on my index finger, and I started the Spring goddess' flowy, white dress.

I heard the door to my chambers open, and turned to see twelve-year-old Athena walk in. I smiled warmly at her, and she situated herself on the floor next to me.

"You should be catching up on your sewing" I said, returning my attention to my stitching. "Those birds are not going to take form themselves, you know."

"Unlike you, I am a fast stitcher, and find needlework to be quite boring" Athena replied, bitterly.

I sighed in exasperation. "What's wrong?"

"Mother reprimanded me."

I turned to look at her, astonished. "You? Mother reprimanded you?" Athena nodded, staring at the crackling fire. I saw two fat tears roll down her face.

The world officially, is not making any sense. Mother saw Athena to be nothing but an angel. To think that she was reprimanded... "What did you do?"

"I tried to convince her to send Lillian and Miles to Bruvia."

"Why? They are not causing us any trouble." Though Cedric is now officially King of Bruvia (which is looking better every day), Mother wanted to keep the twins. I think it helps her with Janus' death.

"Because they are Cedric's family, not ours. It is Cedric's job to take care of them. To find them suitors when the time comes."

"If it bothers you that much, I will take Lillian and Miles to live with Cedric and me after I marry the bloke" I said, and immediatley wished I had chosen better words.

Ever since Megan and I started 'seeing' each other, I did not like the thought of marrying Cedric. Of course, I had never really been too fond of the thought in the first place, but I had never been absolutely against the idea. But now... Now I know Cedric is nothing more than a brother to me. To think of him as a husband seems beyond impossible.

I had told Father and Mother about Megan, and how I felt about her. I told them that I wanted to marry her. My parents, like me, did not believe that I loved Megan. They do not think it is possible. They had talked to Cedric after that, thinking that something was wrong between us. Like we were having a fight or something. Cedric had been very confused, but to him, it is just something in the past.

When I had been adamant about wanting to marry Megan, I had gotten a beating from Father. It is the only time I have ever been beaten by him. I was not allowed to see Megan for nearly a week after that, but after I told them I had been under the influence of the devil, they let me talk to her again.

We kept our affair a secret, obviously, not telling a soul about us. I did not know how long this could continue. Two years at most, and then I would be Cedric's wife and Bruvia's queen.

I am now fifteen. I will be married to Cedric soon.

What would Megan and I do after that? I shook my head and continued with my needlework. That is a problem I am yet to face.

But when the time does come for me to face it, I will run. I will run away from happiness, and into sorrow, because I will not be able to see another way.

A/N: Thoughts?? Vote and comment!!