10: Persephonie

Song: Fallen Angel by Three Days Grace

I couldn't get Louis out of my mind. I missed him. I missed him so, so, much. The twins ran into the dining room, bursting with happiness. I didn't understand how they could be so happy. Their brother was dead! How could they be so carefree? How could they not care? How could they be happy! Happy! Of everything they could feel, how could they feel happy?!

I looked to my mother, who was bent over her now cold porridge. She was upset that Father had been taken away. But honestly, who wouldn't be? Venus was trying to console Athena, who had seen the Bruvian King's bloody body.

I shoved a spoonful of cold porridge into my mouth, and immediately wished I hadn't. I tried to override the taste by chugging some milk.

"Have you talked to Cedric yet?" Mother asked, startling me, and I began coughing, as I was currently choking on my milk. She waited patiently as I hacked at my chest, with tears streaming down my cheeks. I hastily wiped them away and turned my attention to her.

"Yes ma'am" I replied. "But he seemed really dazed, and I don't know why."

"Poor boy" Mother muttered. "Lost half his family in two days."

My mouth dropped open at her inconsideration. "How can you just call him a 'poor boy'? He's practically your son!"

"Persephonie, darling" Mother consoled. "It is our duty as Royals to be calm even in the most dire situations. Look at what happened to the Bruvian king! And Prince Cedric even fainted!"

I forcefully pushed my chair back and stood up. "How can you sit here and talk about the Bruvian royals as though you've never personally met them! They were all supposed to become family!"

Mother stood up as well, and her eyes hardened. "Young lady! Is that how I raised you to behave? Did I teach you talk back to your elders? This is no doubt that commoner Megan's doing."

"Don't bring Megan into this!" I snapped at her, and she glared at me.

"You are not to associate with the likes of her! She is making you into a commoner." Mother gently took my hands in hers, and her leer softened to a loving gaze. "Please understand that everything I do is to help you Persephonie. I don't want you to live the life I did."

"What do you mean?" I snapped. Mother flinched a little at my tone.

Mother opened her mouth to explain, but Cedric burst in through the doors. His eyes held tears begging to escape. "Is it true?" he whispered, looking directly at my mother, completely ignoring my presence.

It was then I realized that I could never love him like I loved Louis. I saw him as my little brother. Like Janus. I didn't want him to get hurt. I wanted to do everything I could to make sure he was safe.

"Did someone kill Dad?" his voice quivered.

"No one killed your dad, Cedric" I assured.

"Then where is he?"

I ran to him and enveloped him in my arms.

"Where's my dad, Persephonie?" he whispered.

I squeezed him into my body, wanting to make him part of me. Wanting to take away all his sufferings. "He wasn't strong enough to make it through" I whispered back to him, trying to stay calm.

Cedric pushed me away, a little harshly, and stared into my eyes with his glassy ones. "Is Dad a- alive?" the hopefulness in his voice made me want to shower him with all the world's gifts. I lightly shook my head, and the hurt that settled on him caused tears to pour down my cheeks.

I clutched him, sobbing. "I'm sorry Cedric! I'm sorry. I am so, so, sorry."

Cedric pushed me away again, and his nails dug into my shoulders. "For what?"

"That you're so sad!" I said, with tears trickling down my cheeks.

"Who killed him?"

"Your dad killed himself."

"You're lying" Cedric concluded.

"I swear I'm not lying, Cedric" I pleaded. His eyes hardened. "The guards think Father did it, but I swear, he didn't!" My voice faltered as I said the last word.

Cedric's determined, glassy eyes searched my teary, pleading ones. I hoped he would see that I was saying the truth. He was the judge now. He would decide my father's fate, and what his people thought of him. Cedric may not know it now, but he was about to take his first action as the king of Bruvia.

--

A/N: What will Cedric do? And what did Queen Sophia mean when she said, "I don't want you to grow up the way I did?" Will Persephonie ever see Cedric the way he sees her? Guess you'll have to wait until next week to find out. Remember to vote and comment!