Chapter Five

Meetings followed regularly, daily, and soon became less of formal interviews than friendly talks. He enjoyed her company too much to take some distance and she felt too strongly the need to have him close to take the initiative herself. His presence progressively healed the painful memories of his death and her camaraderie unconsciously soothed his feelings of sorrow and loneliness. With Barnes being away at war, Natalie soon became the only friend he had. Just a friend, as she knew all the room in his heart was taken by another woman.

Eventually, the leather notebook remained in the drawer of her desk at the apartment. Steve didn't bring it up, though. He made the assumption that the article was in the works and he never asked about it for he entertained the thought of her coming for him and not just for her job anymore.

And so the day naturally happened when he asked her to call him Steve. As she now knew it was the name he preferred to be called, she accepted and treasured his request but also dreaded the reasons and the outcomes that would ensue. This was why it wasn't until a few days later, after she had made up her mind, that she had given him permission to call her by her first name. He had smiled and complied happily.

She knew it wasn't right. She knew she was jeopardizing the mission by becoming a presence he yearned for and would have a difficult time to forget after she had gone. But there was something in Steve, this Steve she couldn't pull away from. Every minute in his company was a chance to reconnect with her friend and teammate but also to learn more about this Steve from 1942. And in a way, she found them so different. 1942 Steve was a less bitter and damaged version of modern Steve. 1942 Steve had this innocence, this endearing naivety, this sweet clumsiness and an insatiable hope for the future and humanity that the Steve she knew seemed to have left behind in the ice; and, as she listened to the way he talked of Barnes, of Bucky, every time they met, also after his death. She was now convinced that his abrupt passing had affected Steve and made him the person she had always known until she met his past self. This conclusion fuelled her determination to save Barnes and in the process preserve Steve's original joie de vivre.

She found out Steve was more spontaneous

'What are your plans for New Year's Eve?' he had once asked innocently.

'Well, I don't have any family here so I'm probably going to curl up in my sofa and brood about it while eating some ice cream,' she had answered.

'Oh, you too?' he had smiled. 'Here's an idea. How about we brood together? I know a place that sells the best ice cream in the city. What do you say?'

'I say you're probably gonna leave the party being more broody than when you arrived cause I intend to eat all your ice cream.'

And that was how they decided to spend New Years' Eve together.

And more loquacious, too. He complimented her when she walked in the cabaret. He had looked up, seen her step through the door and jumped up his seat to welcome her like a gentleman should.

'You look...stunning,' he blurted out then mentally beat himself up for this burst of frankness. He looked at her, almost apologetic.

She looked around. The atmosphere was festive, people were in a celebrating and happy mood, all ready to put aside the reality of the war to welcome the upcoming year.

'Why, thank you,' she answered lightly to ease the mood. 'But I think my hairdresser pushed the Marilyn Monroe looks a bit too far.'

A confused look spread across his face.

'Who?' he asked.

Oops. And yet another anachronism. She had been collecting them lately.

'You don't know her? Well, mark my words, Steve. She'll be very famous. An icon,' she said after he pulled her chair in while she sat. He went to sit in his chair face to her and she leaned closer. 'You heard it here first,' she added, murmuring suavely and winked. It made him laugh. She was enjoying this whole time travel thing way too much.