Chapter One

It all happened so fast anyone would say. But not to her; not through her eyes. They always admired her acute sight in the red room; her ability to depict every detail no matter how rapid the sequence of movements could be.

'You have a gift, Natalia,' they used to tell her. But her gift never felt more like a curse that in this exact moment.

Natasha was on the ground, immobilized by the weight of metal bars squeezing the lower part of her body. She watched as Steve took over her brawl against the Winter Soldier. She tried to pull herself out of the metal trap while punches were thrown between the two former best friends who had now become enemies.

Then she saw it. She clearly saw, and in every tiny detail, the Winter Soldier pull the gun out of his leather case and aim it at Steve who had his back to him. She saw his finger press the trigger without a hint of hesitation, the bullet spurt out of the barrel, cut through the air then finally lodge itself into her teammate's abdomen before her aghast eyes.

 She saw his finger press the trigger without a hint of hesitation, the bullet spurt out of the barrel, cut through the air then finally lodge itself into her teammate's abdomen before her aghast eyes

Steve staggered, one hand clutching his open wound, then slumped onto the floor. The Winter Soldier didn't bat an eyelid, shot a glance in her direction then walked out of the room in a mechanical gait.

She turned her attention back to Steve who was now gasping painfully, his chest jerking with the rhythm of his muscle spasms.

Natasha used all her strength to release her legs from the bars.

'No, no, no, no,' she whispered alarmingly to herself as she ran up to him as fast as possible.

She swiftly fell to her knees and held his face.

His flickering eyes fell on her and regained a spark.   He tried to speak but a faint stuttering came out of his mouth.

She lifted her wrist to her mouth.

'Cap is down! I repeat, Cap is down!' she cried into her transmitter, breathing heavily. 'Requesting medical support urgently and immediate extraction.'

Steve slightly shook his head in response to her S.O.S call.

She slid her arm under his neck and lifted his upper body onto her lap. She pressed her hand on the bleeding wound, watching helplessly as the scarlet blood slipped profusely between her fingers. She then glanced around the room for a piece of cloth close enough to her reach so she wouldn't have to leave his side.