2: Meet Mitch

Chapter 2 - Meet Mitch

“Oh God, sorry…” I hurriedly get out again.

He laughs, “Any time!”

I bend down so I’m looking in through the open door “Um… if the car’s full how am I supposed to catch a ride with you?” A thought occurs to me, “Don’t tell me you guys were bluffing!” I glare at Dylan who’s motioning for me to sit on his lap again. “No Dylan.”

“You’re riding with yours truly babe,” a voice says in my ear.

I jump up in surprise, hitting my head on the roof of the car as I straighten, “Jeez Jake, don’t freak me out like that!” I exclaim, rubbing the top of my head, “You know I hate people doing that!”

He gives me a knowing smile “Exactly why I do it. Anyways, I had to do something, you can see down your top when you lean down.” I pull the neckline of my shirt up with a huff. Jake starts to laugh so I shove him. “You’re gonna be riding with me,” he shuts the car door and the twins wave out the window as they immediately drive off. “Have fun!”

I wave back half-heartedly before turning to Jake reluctantly. “So where’s your ‘wheels’?”

“Right over there,” he points to the end of their driveway. My eyes widen in shock.

“No. Jake McLane, No. No, No, No, No! I refuse! Absolutely refuse!”

“Come on it’s not that bad,” Jake beckons me towards him as he walks over to his big, red, shiny motorcycle.

I start to back away, images of a pancake version of me flattened on the road flashing in front of my eyes, “I’m not getting on that freaking thing with you! It’s suicide! I’d seriously rather walk. There is no way in hell that I’m getting on it! No. Way. In. Hell.”

Jake grins at me “Well we’re on Earth, so I guess it doesn’t count,” he lunges forward as he tries to catch my arm but I dodge him swiftly and high-tail it down the street.

The distinct thwack of Converse’s along the side-walk follows me close behind and I risk a glance over my shoulder to see him gaining on me.

“I don’t care if you’re driving!” I shout over my shoulder, pumping my arms in a futile attempt to escape his out-stretched arms, “I’m not getting– HEY!”

Jake grabs me around the waist suddenly and before I can go ninja on his obscenely strong hands, I’m slung over his shoulder getting a good view of some very gorgeous legs wrapped up in denim.

I start to beat my fists against his back and kick my legs out, trying to get out of his grasp. “Let go of me! I swear to God, let go now!” The idiot keeps walking down the street while I continue to make a fuss.

I see some little kids in their yard, eyes as wide as golf balls as they see us walk by. An old couple is sitting on their front porch, watching us curiously. Curtains twitch as neighbors peak through their windows and a car actually slows down as it drives past us on the street.  

I immediately quiet down. “Come on, put me down. Everyone’s staring!” I say a bit more quietly.

Jake laughs as he finally lets me down onto the bike and hands me a helmet. “And whose fault do you think it is?”

“Jake.” I growl warningly about 5 seconds away from letting his perfect face meet my fist.

“Hale,” he interrupts, mocking my voice, “We need to get to school so no more tantrums. Don’t want to label yourself as a trouble-maker on the first day now, do we?”