9: Rule Number 1

IMPORTANT: I REALISE that my updates are slow and painful but I have said that I'd TRY to keep a regular schedule. Unfortunately I can't always stick to this and update like everyone else. 2013 is my last year in school and therefore an important one too. Please understand that I don't update for the votes, reads etc. but for you guys and to get feedback. I know it's slow, I know it's annoying but give me a break, people! I can't update regularly and that can't really change, even if I lose fans. Please understand. I'm not perfect.

Chapter 9

Rule number 1

“Hailey?”

“Mmmm?” I’m in the living room curled up on the couch reading a book. Sam’s been zooming in and out of the room, modelling his superhero costumes made out of a mismatch of clothes. Mostly mine.

“Haileeeeey,” he whines. I’m up to the good part in my book and I don’t want to stop reading.

“Yes Sweetie?” I say distractedly, turning a page.

“I’m Batman!”

“That’s nice.”

“Do you like my costume?’

I glance up with a smile, “You make a good superhero, Sam.” I quickly look back down at my book, catching up from where I left off.

Wait a second.

My head jerks up with enough force to make my neck crick to see him running out of the room, yelling that he’s going to show Claire over his shoulder.

He is not wearing what I think he is.

“Samuel McLane!” I bellow as I get up, my book falling to the ground, forgotten. I start to run after him, “Sam, come back here! You’re not supposed to wear that!”

I run after the little boy who has one of my black bras hooked over his head like airplane goggles and a tank top tied around his neck as a makeshift cape. If I’m not mistaken he’s also managed to hook my underwear around his ankle too.

I’m not going to hear the end of this.

I run out the door just in time to see Sam barrel into John, interrupting the game of basketball he’s playing with the boys, “Dad! Dad! Do you like my batman costume?”

I freeze on the veranda. Everyone stares at Sam. John looks notably uncomfortable.

Wes points at his brother to voice the obvious, “Is that a–”

I sprint down the steps and grab Sam, “Pretend you didn’t see that.” I mutter and then I dash back into the house with the culprit over my shoulder.

Seems like Jake isn’t the only one who has a habit of going through other people’s underwear.

I place Sam on his feet, taking off his ‘costume’ and straightening up with my hands on my hips, “What you did wasn’t right, mate.”

Sam hangs his head in shame, “Sorry Hailey.”

I ruffle his head with a sigh, “Go on, go out and play with your brothers.” And with that he scampers off.

I look down at the clothing in my hands with a sigh. I really just want to go home.

*

The alarm clock goes off. It’s way louder than I remember it being.

Maybe it’s because it’s a Monday morning. Damn you, you stupid day.

I groan as I twist over and hit the snooze button. I roll back to the warm spot on my bed and cuddle up to my pillow.