Fight!

Chapter 27

5th of Rain's hand, 4E 202

A month suddenly passed so quickly. Now that we'll be fulfilling our huge contract, Astrid is making us train nonstop.

"The shield isn't that heavy," Kaito says, noticing my blundering movements with his Daedric shield, and doesn't even try to attack me. Trust me, it's heavy.

I look through the holes of the Daedric armour he created for me, and I can hardly move. Seriously, we're disguising as chefs!

Lifting up the dagger in the air, this thing weighs like twenty pounds. My thoughts interrupt my attack, and I instead throw off the helmet, gauntlets, boots, and overall strip off the armour. Fresh, cool air hits my bare shins, and I sigh. Under the Daedric garb is a loose indigo dress with a white pinafore, which is extremely comfortable, unlike the heavy armour the idiot forced me in.

"We're just poisoning food! How hard can it be?" I groan, dropping the shield on the ground to sit on it.

"Yeah, murdering Vittoria seemed easy, but apparently that just means it'll be difficult. Murdering the Emperor with just that is what a child can do," he tells me, and drops his weapons to rest. "We'll poison the food and run through the crowd."

"You're crazy," I sigh, massaging my sore calves.

He looks at me with his emotionless expression. "Then stay here."

"Unfortunately for us both, I like crazy," I say, and he smiles. A dragon roars above our heads, and we stay absolutely still before it can spot us.

After two hours of exploring, since training is really boring, we eventually stop to take a break. We're lazy, it's a Sundas morning, and it's cold out, don't judge us.

We arrive at Morthal on foot, and I pop a maple candy in my mouth. A burned house still remains, and more people are avoiding it, for some odd reason.

I adjust my scarf, seeing the clouds of fog escape from my mouth whenever I breathe. My cheeks sting from the snappy weather, and whenever I blink, I can feel my cold eyelids. My face probably seems like mountain flower dye spread all across my nose and cheeks, and I sniff in a response to my running nose.

"Let's check it out," I say, running to the incinerated remains. It reminds me of my own house, but a little less morbid. No blood, no corpses, no death. Maybe the Jarl demanded the house cleaned up, but why doesn't she just mow it down already?

Without waiting for Kaito to follow me, I walk inside, the wood creaking as if I'll fall through it any minute now, but instead, my foot lands on a pile of snow. My leather boots reaching to my ankles is almost sunken in the pile, and I jump out of it. Morthal, gloomy as always, has the sky looking greyer than ever. Small beads of snow softly fall out of the sky, casting a thin white blanket over this tiny city. Rubbing my hands together, only one or two rays of sunlight manage to escape the open spaces of the clouds, but it doesn't do much good.

"Who are you?" a shrill whisper echoes in my ear, and I breathe into my mittens to warm up my roseate cheeks. My hood shields the sides of my face, but unfortunately doesn't help in keeping me warm. My bare shins and calves are growing rigid, like a frozen-solid rubber band in the snow. My dress goes below my knees, along with the apron that has snow sneaking its way into the pockets.

"You're dead, aren't you?" I mutter, my lips turning a shade of white, and I have to cup the mittens over my mouth so it'll return to its original colour. I lick my dry lips, and look around. Kaito also joins me, his hand on the doorframe. Well, what is left of the entrance. Anyway, I knew the at the very first second that she was dead, was because the way she spoke. She sounds so confused, but she somehow knows she's dead. Then, she decides to show herself, and I can see right through her.